Hankering for a muffin but don’t want all the sugar? These healthy banana coconut muffins are your answer! Refined sugar free, dairy free and ready in 30 minutes, they are perfect for an afternoon snack or packed in lunch boxes.
Bananas are the perfect snack on their own – they’re cheap, come in their own packaging (a.k.a peel) and they’re healthy. But they aren’t the most reliable, especially when they seem to go from green to brown in a blink of an eye.
If you’re anything like me, you have a few overripe, brown bananas sitting on the kitchen bench at the end of every week. Over the years I’ve found quite a few easy ways to use these bananas up and ensure nothing goes to waste.
Or meal prepping a batch of Banana Maple Steel Cut Oats for the week.
But using the brown bananas for banana muffins would hands-down be my favourite way to use them up.
These Healthy Banana Coconut Muffins are my go-to. They’ll take 3 overripe bananas off your hands, and are ready in just 30 minutes. The muffins are moist, full of flavour and have a lovely crunch from the toasted coconut on the top.
They can be frozen and stored for up to 3 months (see below for instructions), but I have a feeling there won’t be any left to freeze once you put these out on the table. They are a certified crowd favourite. Even my fussy 4 year old nephew who eats NOTHING I ever make loves these. If that isn’t a glowing endorsement, I don’t know what is 😉
BANANA COCONUT MUFFIN INGREDIENTS:
To make these delicious banana coconut muffins you will need…
- Ripe Bananas: The darker and uglier, the better.
- Wholemeal / Whole wheat Flour: Or you can use white all purpose flour instead.
- Rice Malt Syrup / Brown Rice Syrup: Or you can use maple syrup or honey instead.
- Olive Oil: Or you can use coconut oil instead.
- Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- Baking Powder
HOW TO MAKE BANANA COCONUT MUFFINS:
To make these healthy banana coconut muffins, simply:
- Set up: Preheat oven to 190C / 375F and grease muffin tin.
- Combine wet ingredients: Mix wet ingredients (mashed banana, egg, oil, rice malt syrup) in a small mixing bowl (photo 1).
- Combine dry ingredients: Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, coconut, cinnamon, salt) in a large mixing bowl (photo 2).
- Mix the two together: Mix wet ingredients with dry ingredients and stir until just combined (photo 3).
- Fill the muffin tray: Fill each muffin mould 2/3 of the way full with mixture, then sprinkle extra shredded coconut on top. If you’d like, you can also sprinkle raw sugar (photo 4).
- Bake: Cook muffins for 15-20 minutes until cooked through and skewer comes out clean. Leave in trays for 5 minutes and then place on a cooling rack until fully cooled.
- Enjoy! Is there anything better than a warm muffin with a cup of tea (or coffee for my coffee lovers)? I’m not sure there is.
Storing the muffins:
Once cooled, these muffins will keep in an airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days. They also freeze really well. Simply wrap the muffins individually with cling wrap, then store in a freezer bag or airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
MORE SCRUMPTIOUS SNACK RECIPES:
- No Bake Chocolate Coconut Slice
- Mini Banana Muffins
- Healthy Chocolate Crackles
- No Bake Apricot Coconut Energy Bites
- Chewy Apricot Muesli Bars
- How to Make Stovetop Popcorn
- Strawberry Mango Popsicles
- OR see all Snack Recipes
If you’ve tried these Banana Coconut Muffins I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
- 1 1/4 cup wholemeal / whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 tbsp rice malt syrup / brown rice syrup
- 1/2 cup olive oil, mild taste
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut, plus extra for sprinkling on top
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp raw sugar, for sprinkling on top of muffins
- Preheat oven to 190C / 375F and grease muffin tin.
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, coconut, cinnamon, salt) in a large mixing bowl.
- Mix wet ingredients (mashed banana, egg, oil, rice malt syrup) in a small mixing bowl.
- Combine wet ingredients with dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Fill each muffin mould 2/3 of the way full with mixture, then sprinkle extra shredded coconut on top. If you'd like, you can also sprinkle raw sugar.
- Cook muffins for 15-20 minutes until cooked through and skewer comes out clean. Leave in trays for 5 minutes and then place on a cooling rack until fully cooled. Enjoy!
- Inspiration: Adapted from Cookie and Kate.
- Oil: Feel free to sub olive oil for coconut oil.
- Sweetener: Feel free to sub rice malt syrup / brown rice syrup for maple syrup or honey. Just note these will make the muffins sweeter.
- Store: Keep in airtight container on the counter for up to 3 days OR wrap muffins individually with cling wrap, pop in a freezer bag or airtight container and keep in freezer for up to 3 months.
- Updates: First published May 18, 2018. Last updated February 21, 2019 with new photos & tips. No changes to recipe.
- Nutrition: Nutrition information is a rough estimate calculated for 1 muffin.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: muffin
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 188 Saturated Fat: 3g Cholesterol: 13mg Sodium: 10mg Carbohydrates: 19g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 7g Protein: 2g