This tasty Banana Chia Smoothie is filled with everyday healthy ingredients and makes a filling on-the-go breakfast or a perfect 3pm pick-me-up. And given that it’s a dump and blend recipe, it couldn’t be easier!
Who else is recovering from an overly indulgent holiday period? Because I sure am! I tipped the balance scales a little too far into full blown junk mode and now that it’s officially 2019, I’m ready to turn it back around.
January is notoriously the “diet month” and although I don’t believe in diets, I do believe it’s a good time to clean up our menus and set healthy eating habits to carry us through the year.
This month I’ll be focusing on bringing you nourishing and nutrient dense smoothie and salad recipes that will have you (and your tastebuds) feeling great.
And I’m kicking it all off with our families favourite Banana Chia Smoothie.
This smoothie was one of the first recipes I put on the blog and it’s been one of the most popular ever since. Made with everyday healthy ingredients and ready in a flash, this Banana Chia Smoothie is perfect choice for an on-the-go breakfast or snack.
BANANA CHIA SMOOTHIE INGREDIENTS LIST
- Vanilla Yoghurt
- Chia Seeds
- Flaxseed Oil (optional)
MILK: Choose any milk that you enjoy. This smoothie works well with cow’s, almond, coconut or soy milk.
SMOOTHIE BOOSTERS: I always like to add one or two boosters or superfoods into my smoothies to try and pack in more nutrients into my diet. We generally have chia seeds and flaxseed oil on hand and these are my go-to’s. If you don’t have these ingredients already, try adding a tablespoon of your favourite nut butter instead.
MAKE IT VEGAN / DAIRY FREE: Choose your favourite milk and replace vanilla yoghurt with coconut yoghurt OR omit yoghurt and replace with a tbsp of brown rice syrup / rice malt syrup or maple syrup.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A BANANA CHIA SMOOTHIE?:
- Put all ingredients into a high performance blender.
- Blend on high until all the ingredients are well combined and smooth (30-60 seconds).
It’s as simple as that!
CAN I MAKE MY SMOOTHIE IN ADVANCE?
If you want to avoid waking everyone up to the sound of the blender whirring, you can whip this smoothie up the night before. Store it in an airtight mason jar and give it a good shake before consuming. I would only store for up to 24 hours.
TOP TIP: Got a bunch of browning bananas sitting on the bench? Freeze them for smoothies. Frozen bananas help make your smoothie thicker (and icy cold).
Simply slice the bananas into small chunks, pop them on a plate and put it in the freezer. Once the chunks are frozen, pop them in an airtight container or freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
MORE SMOOTHIE RECIPES:
- How to make a Perfect Smoothie (+30 delicious smoothie recipes)
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Berry Green Smoothie
- The BEST Green Smoothie
- Kale Pineapple Smoothie
- Banana Oat Smoothie
- OR see all Smoothie Recipes
If you’ve tried this Banana Chia Smoothie I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
- 1 Banana, frozen & sliced
- 250 ml / 1 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Yoghurt
- 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Flaxseed Oil
- Put all ingredients in a high performance blender and blend for 30-60 seconds until smooth.
- Pour, serve and enjoy!
- MILK - Choose any milk that you enjoy. This smoothie works well with cow's, almond, coconut or soy milk.
- SMOOTHIE BOOSTERS - If you don't have chia seeds, you can replace with a tbsp of your favourite nut butter.
- TO MAKE VEGAN / DAIRY FREE - Sub Vanilla Yoghurt for Coconut Yoghurt or omit completely and replace with a tbsp of brown rice syrup / rice malt syrup or maple syrup.
- MAKE IN ADVANCE - Blend then store in an airtight mason jar for up to 24 hours in the fridge. Shake well before consuming.
- UPDATES - First published May 25, 2017. Last updated January 1, 2019. No changes to recipe, just updated photos and tips.
- NUTRITION - Nutrition information is a rough estimate for one smoothie with the optional addition of flaxseed oil.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 348 Saturated Fat: 1g Cholesterol: 1mg Sodium: 157mg Carbohydrates: 51g Fiber: 8g Sugar: 30g Protein: 12g
★★ HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!