This easy and healthy Chocolate Chia Pudding is great for a quick breakfast on the go or a late night chocolate fix. Mix the ingredients together and they'll transform into a thick and creamy pudding overnight.
Chia puddings had a moment a few years back and then kind of fizzled away. I must admit I wasn't a huge fan of the trend, mostly because I found plain chia puddings really boring. But these chocolate chia puddings were my only exception. They are damn delicious.
When it comes to these puddings, it's all about the toppings. I've put a huge list of suggestions below but I highly recommend strawberry and banana slices with some dark chocolate chunks and coconut sprinkled over. It's not the only way to enjoy these, but it is certainly my favourite.
I bet you already have most, if not all of these ingredients in your cupboard right now. Here's what you'll need (full measurements in the recipe card below)...
- Chia Seeds
- Milk - whatever milk you like. Cows, almond, coconut etc - it all works!
- Unsweetened Cocoa Powder - or use sweetened, I won't judge.
- Rice Malt Syrup / Brown Rice Syrup - or use maple or honey.
- Vanilla Extract
Mix all the ingredients together in a jar or bowl (photos 1-2).
Cover and leave in the fridge overnight (or at least 6 hours).
To serve, portion the pudding evenly into two jars or glasses. Serve on it's own (but why?) or with your choice of toppings (see the list below).
🍫 TOPPING IDEAS
Toppings really make these puddings. Choose a few of your favourites and mix it all up:
- Strawberry or Banana Slices
- Shredded Coconut
- Peanut Butter / Almond Butter (I've tried adding it to the pudding itself but preferred it being on top)
- Dark Chocolate Chunks / Chips
- Chopped Almonds or Walnuts
- Greek Yoghurt
🥣 STORAGE ADVICE
Chia pudding can be made ahead. Simply store in an airtight container and leave in the fridge for up to 5 days.
🥞 MORE BREAKFAST RECIPES
- Crispy Breakfast Potatoes
- Stovetop Banana Oatmeal
- Healthy Banana Pancakes
- Sweet Potato Rosti
- OR see all Breakfast Recipes
If you’ve tried these Chocolate Chia Puddings I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below!
- 4 tbsp Chia Seeds
- 1 cup Milk - cows, almond, coconut etc all work
- 1 tbsp Unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tbsp Rice Malt Syrup / Brown Rice Syrup - or use maple syrup / honey
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract / Essence
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- Mix all ingredients together well in a bowl or jar.
- Cover and leave in fridge overnight, or for at least 6 hours.
- To serve, portion the pudding out evenly between two jars or glasses. Serve on it's own or with toppings - my favourites are strawberry and banana slices, dark chocolate chunks and shredded coconut.
- Full list of topping suggestions can be found above.
- To get a layered effect like in my recipe photos, simply fill a glass halfway with pudding, cover completely with banana slices, then top with more pudding.
- Nutrition information is from a nutrition calculator and is based on one serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 169Saturated Fat: 1gCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 9gSugar: 6gProtein: 5g