Gone are the days of bland and boring salads! This pumpkin, halloumi and avocado salad makes for a perfect weeknight dinner - minimal effort, maximum taste.
It's hard to play favourites with recipes, but if I *had* to, this Pumpkin, Halloumi and Avocado salad wins. And given that it's been the most popular recipe on the blog since I first posted in over a year ago, it seems to be your favourite too.
This doesn't really surprise me. Whether you're an avid salad eater or a notorious salad avoider, this is the salad for you.
It's filled with three of the most universally loved ingredients.
It's really easy to prepare with minimal hands-on time.
AND it's a salad that you can really get excited about.
I know what you're thinking right now - how exactly can I get excited about a salad? By putting halloumi cheese in it of course!
WHAT IS HALLOUMI?
Halloumi is a salty cheese from Cyprus that is made commonly from either cow's milk or a mixture of sheep's and goat's milk. It has a high melting point which allows it to be pan-fried or even deep fried. Although it can be eaten raw, it is most commonly enjoyed cooked.
WHERE TO FIND HALLOUMI?
Halloumi generally comes in prepacked blocks. In Australia, NZ and the UK, halloumi is found in all major supermarkets. In America it can generally be found in Whole Foods and Trader Joes. If you are struggling to find it, you can always try a Mediterranean or Middle Eastern deli.
HOW TO COOK HALLOUMI?
Halloumi can be cooked in many ways, including pan-fried, grilled, barbecued and baked. I opt for pan-fried halloumi when making this salad. It's quick and easy:
- Cut the halloumi into slices 1cm thick.
- Heat a dash of oil in a frying pan on medium heat
- Place slices in pan with a little space in between.
- Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until brown and slightly crispy, then turn and cook the other side.
If you want to cook the halloumi on a BBQ, I've listed full instructions and photo guides in my How To Cook Halloumi post. It also has some great meal ideas for using up any leftover halloumi.
PUMPKIN, HALLOUMI AND AVOCADO SALAD INGREDIENTS:
When I said this salad was easy to put together I wasn't joking. Aside from possibly tracking down a block of halloumi I bet you have most of these ingredients already.
- Roasted Pumpkin - any good roasting pumpkin or squash would work for this recipe.
- Balsamic Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper
Throw it all together in a bowl and dig in!
TOP TIP: Meal prep some roasted pumpkin at the start of the week and you'll have this salad on the table each night in ten minutes flat.
This recipe uses half a standard block of halloumi. Find easy ways to use the rest of the block by looking through these 11 Delicious Halloumi Recipes!
MORE SCRUMPTIOUS SALAD RECIPES:
- Roast Pumpkin and Chickpea Salad
- Mexican Chicken Salad
- Mango Avocado Salad
- Roasted Pumpkin, Spinach and Feta Salad
- Crunchy Kale Salad with Lemon Tamari Dressing
- Roasted Sweet Potato, Avocado and Feta Salad
- 35 Easy and Yummy Salad Recipes
- OR see all Salad Recipes
If you’ve tried this Pumpkin, Halloumi and Avocado Salad I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below!
- ¼ pumpkin, see notes
- 90 grams / 3 oz halloumi cheese, sliced 1cm thick
- ½ avocado, diced
- mixed lettuce, I used a 4 leaf mix but you can just use rocket
- salt + pepper
- 1 & ½ Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- pine nuts, sprinkle on top of finished salad
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F
- Chop pumpkin into bite size pieces, place on a baking tray and drizzle with 1 tbsp. of olive oil. Mix together, then separate out. Cook for 30 – 40 minutes, until browned, flipping pieces’ half way through.
- Mix 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil and 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar in small jar and shake to combine to make a basic balsamic vinaigrette.
- Heat a frypan on medium-low and add ½ tbsp. olive oil. Fry halloumi pieces for approximately 2 minutes each side, or until browned. Be careful not to burn – they cook fast!
- Add lettuce to bowl, sprinkle with salt and pepper and mix well with your hands.
- Add in avocado, pumpkin and halloumi on top of lettuce, drizzle with dressing and serve immediately!
WHERE TO FIND HALOUMI:
- If you can't find halloumi cheese in major supermarkets near you, try a Mediterranean or Middle Eastern deli.
PUMPKIN - Any good roasting pumpkin or squash would work in this recipe. For aussies - my favourites are jap or kent.
- Try adding toasted pine nuts on top for additional crunch factor.
- I wouldn't recommend making this salad ahead due to the fact it uses avocado and halloumi which are best served immediately. If you want to cut down prep time, try roasting a batch of pumpkin at the beginning of the week. You can then either reheat or enjoy cold when putting together the salad.
UPDATES - First Published October 30, 2017. Last Updated December 8, 2018. No changes to the recipe, just updated photos & tips.
NUTRITION - Nutrition information is an estimate and is based on one serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 469