Last Updated on
This fresh and flavourful Mexican Chicken Salad is a quick and easy weeknight dinner that is sure to fill you up. Filled with delicious everyday ingredients, including avocado, red kidney beans and corn. It’s also served with a light lemon salad dressing. The only Mexican Chicken Salad recipe you need!
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THIS POST IS FILLED WITH HELPFUL INFORMATION FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE.
I love Mexican food, so it’s no surprise that one of my favourite salads is Mexican inspired. This Mexican Chicken Salad is full of good-for-you ingredients and is filling enough to be a complete meal on its own. The chicken is juicy and bursting with flavour.
It’s on the table in 15 minutes. Yes, you heard right – 15 minutes! This does require a little multi-tasking, like chopping salad ingredients while waiting for the chicken breast to cook. But totally doable.
Ain’t nobody got time to spend hours in the kitchen after work – am I right? This recipe will have you on the couch and watching Netflix in no time!
In our house I have to make two versions of this salad. My husband hates most salad items with a passion so he gets shredded iceberg lettuce, a diced truss tomato, some avocado, corn and chicken on top with no dressing. Anyone else have a fussy eater at home and can relate to this?!
I sit there eating my own delicious plate with all trimmings and wonder how on earth he is possibly enjoying his plain sad salad. But he tells me it is delicious pared back and given his fussiness I know he wouldn’t eat it if it wasn’t!
Mexican Chicken Salad Ingredients List
Now – the ingredient list below might look dauntingly long but never fear – these are everyday ingredients and majority are either part of the salad or common spices. I’ve also added a few tips and tricks below for how to reuse ingredients and get your chicken breast tender and cooked to perfection.
- Chicken Breast
- Red Capsicum / Bell Pepper
- Corn (use canned or fresh)
- Red Kidney Beans
- Lettuce (use your favourite)
- Olive Oil
- Ground Paprika
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Cayenne Pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt + Pepper
Recipe Tips & Tricks:
Chicken Breast: If the breasts are on the large side, halve them horizontally using this method. Then flatten with a mallet or bottom of a mason jar first to get them to a uniform size. This ensures they cook evenly, don’t dry out and keeps them tender.
Spice Blend: This spice blend is perfect for other Mexican dishes like tacos and burritos. Why not double or triple the quantities and save the mix in a jar for next time?
Dressing: The dressing will make more than you need for two salads. Save leftovers in the fridge for up to a week and use in this Roasted Sweet Potato, Avocado & Feta Salad.
HOW TO MAKE MEXICAN CHICKEN SALAD – STEP BY STEP
MORE SCRUMPTIOUS SALAD RECIPES:
- Pumpkin, Haloumi and Avocado Salad
- Cabbage and Crunchy Noodle Salad
- Roasted Pumpkin, Spinach and Feta Salad
- Crunchy Kale Salad with Lemon Tamari Dressing
- Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Feta Salad
- 35 Easy and Yummy Salad Recipes
- OR see all Salad Recipes
If you’ve tried this Mexican Chicken Salad I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
For the chicken
- 2 chicken breasts (skinless & boneless)
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper, can sub for chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
For the salad
- 2 cups lettuce, I use a 4 leaf blend
- 1/2 cup cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 avocado, diced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced thinly
- 1/4 red capsicum / bell pepper, diced
- 100g / 1/2 cup red kidney beans, if using canned, drain and rinse thoroughly
- 3/4 cup corn kernels, fresh or canned
For the dressing
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp honey
- salt + pepper, to taste
- Place breast, paprika, cumin, garlic powder, cayenne pepper & olive oil in a bowl and mix together thoroughly.
- Heat frying pan on medium-high and cook chicken breasts until browned and fully cooked through (approx. 8 mins). Rest for 5 minutes, then slice.
- Place dressing ingredients in a jar and shake well.
- Arrange salad ingredients on bowls or plates. Place sliced chicken on top and drizzle dressing over. Serve immediately.
- Corn: Use canned (drained) or fresh (cook a cob then cut off the kernels)
- Lettuce: Use your favourite - I use a 4 leaf blend.
- Chicken Breast: If the breasts are larger, halve them horizontally using this method. Then flatten the breasts with a mallet or bottom of a mason jar first to get them to a uniform size. This ensures they cook evenly, don't dry out and keeps them tender.
- Spice Blend: This spice blend is perfect for other Mexican dishes like tacos and burritos. Why not double or triple the quantities and save the mix in a jar for next time?
- Dressing: The dressing will make more than you need for two salads. Save leftovers in the fridge for up to a week and use in this Roasted Sweet Potato, Avocado & Feta Salad.
- Updates: First Published January 29, 2018. Last updated January 16, 2019. Small changes to the recipe as it has been rigorously tested throughout the year. Updated photos and tips.
- Nutrition: Nutrition information is a rough estimate for one serve with 1/4 of the dressing.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 446Saturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 72mgSodium: 266mgCarbohydrates: 35gFiber: 10gSugar: 6gProtein: 32g
★★ HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!