Tired of boring salads? Try this Roasted Sweet Potato and Feta Salad with Honey Lemon Vinaigrette. Filled with ingredients that are not only good for you but also taste great and fill you up.
Have you ever been at a restaurant and ordered what they deemed to be a "salad" but turned out to be a few pieces of limp lettuce, tomato and if you were lucky ONE slice of cucumber? Yeh - I'm not about that.
Life is too short for boring salads! And if there's one thing that has made me thoroughly enjoy eating salads over the years it's combining my favourite foods in a bowl and calling it a salad.
Like this Roasted Sweet Potato and Feta Salad. It's a salad I can really get behind.
Filled with ingredients that are not only good for you but also taste great and fill you up. Trust me - you won't be starving in an hour after eating a bowl of this.
There are so many delicious elements to this salad. Some highlights for me are:
- The Light and Zesty Honey Lemon Vinaigrette.
- The Crumbled Salty and Tangy Feta Cheese.
- The Caramelised and Crispy Red Onion Wedges.
- The Crunchy Almond Bits.
- The Combination of Sweet Potato and Avocado. These two are made for each other.
Yep - you need this salad in your life.
- Sweet Potato
- Olive Oil
- Feta Cheese
- Red Onion
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
SUBSTITUTION SUGGESTIONS AND NOTES
Greens: I've used spinach in this recipe, but I've also made it with a mixed lettuce leaf blend and it tasted great too. Feel free to make it with your favourite green.
Oil: I use two different types of oil in this recipe - Olive Oil and Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO). I generally use Olive Oil for roasting and EVOO for dressings. EVOO has a lower smoke point and I find it generally has a nicer and lighter taste, which is why I save it for dressings.
Nuts: I almost always have almonds in my cupboard, and find they are the perfect versatile crunch in salads. Having said that, so many nuts would work well in this recipe. If you don't have almonds on hand (or just don't like them), try pine nuts, walnuts or pecans instead.
Dressing: I've made a simple honey lemon vinaigrette for the dressing. If honey isn't your thing, you can substitute for maple syrup or brown rice / rice malt syrup OR simply omit altogether if you don't want a sweetener.
💭 CAN I MAKE THIS SALAD AHEAD?
Roasted vegetable salads do take a little longer to prepare than those made with more traditional salad ingredients, but there are a few ways to plan ahead to cut down prep time on the day and make this an easy work lunch.
You can roast a few sweet potatoes at the start of the week and use these to make up the salad each day as you go. This is a great option if you want to have this salad as a quick weeknight dinner. It'll be on the table in 5 minutes. Roasted sweet potato will last in the fridge in an airtight container for 5 days.
OR you can prep the salad minus the dressing, nuts and avocado and portion out for a day or two. Then when the time comes simply add in some chopped avocado and dressing. I don't recommend prepping salads too far in advance, as I find the ingredients don't tend to hold up that well. But prepping this for a work lunch the night before is absolutely fine.
🥗 MORE SCRUMPTIOUS SALAD RECIPES:
- Roast Pumpkin, Spinach and Feta Salad
- Middle Eastern Bean Salad
- Cabbage and Crunchy Noodle Salad
- Crunchy Kale Salad with Lemon Tamari Dressing
- Roast Pumpkin and Chickpea Salad
- 35 Easy and Yummy Salad Recipes
- OR see all Salad Recipes
If you’ve tried this Roasted Sweet Potato, Avocado and Feta Salad I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
Roasted Sweet Potato, Avocado and Feta Salad
Looking for a delicious new salad to add to the meal plan? Look no further than this Roasted Sweet Potato, Avocado and Feta Salad!
- 1 sweet potato, diced
- ½ red onion, cut into thin wedges
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups spinach leaves
- ½ avocado
- 25 grams / 0.8 oz feta cheese
- handful chopped almonds
Honey Lemon Vinaigrette
- 2 tablespoon Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ Lemon, juiced
- 1 teaspoon Honey, sub for maple syrup or brown rice / rice malt syrup
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- Heat oven to 200C / 390F.
- Place sweet potato and red onion on a baking tray lined with baking paper and cover with olive oil. Mix with your hands to ensure all pieces are coated.
- Place tray in oven and bake for 20-30 minutes, until sweet potato is cooked through, flipping once half way.
- Place honey lemon vinaigrette ingredients in a small jar, mix with a spoon (loosens the honey), then cover and shake until well combined.
- To assemble, place all ingredients into a bowl and drizzle dressing on top, then toss gently.
- Greens: Feel free to use your favourite lettuce instead of spinach.
- Nuts: If you don't have almonds on hand (or just don't like them), try pine nuts, walnuts or pecans instead.
- Dressing: If honey isn't your thing, you can substitute for maple syrup or brown rice / rice malt syrup OR simply omit altogether if you don't want a sweetener.
- Updates: First Published February 12, 2018. Last Updated January 7, 2019. No changes to the recipe, just updated photos & tips.
- Nutrition: Nutrition information is a rough estimate for one serve.
Updated: January 7, 2019
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 414Saturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 204mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 7gSugar: 8gProtein: 6g
If I’m having a buffet dinner party how far in advance can i put the avocado in and dressing on? How long can it sit on a buffet table without getting brown or mushy?
Hi Dorie - I'd say about an hour or so depending on how hot the day is etc. I usually prep the salad completely and just leave the feta and avocado to last before I pop it on. Enjoy 🙂
Instead of honey, think agave would be nice? Or would I be better off just skipping that part?
Hey Lindsay - agave isn't something I've worked with before so I can't say confidently. I'd suggest maple syrup or even sugar as a substitute. You can of course omit and just make a simple vinaigrette of 2 parts oil, 1 part lemon juice then season with salt and pepper.
Georgina Phillips says
You had me at sweet potato, avocado, and feta! Can't wait to try this medley of my favs.
This is one of the best meals I have ever had!! Absolutely packed with flavor and ever so hearty. ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! I have already shared it with several others and plan to make it a new staple in our kitchen. Thank you!!!
Thank you Jennifer! That was such a lovely comment to wake up to this morning 🙂 so glad you enjoyed this salad. I'm heading to a BBQ this weekend and I'm bringing this one. Always a crowd pleaser!
M Bishop says
Made this tonight. Absolutely delicious. Everyone Loved it. Will definitely be making again!
I'm so happy to hear that! 🙂
Kathy Mitchell says
Very tasty! I think bacon would be a nice addition next time I make it.
Love that idea Kathy!
I'm always on the look out for new salad ideas. This is great using roast sweet potato and avocado. Pinned for later
Thanks Marcellina! Sweet potato and avocado are such a great combo!
Catering Industries says