Last Updated on
Dare to go bun-less with this Mexican Chicken Burger! The burger is ready in 15 minutes making it the perfect weeknight wonder!
Guys – I’m officially on Day 24 of my Whole30! I’m so close to the end I can almost taste all the delicious foods I’ve been missing! In fact, I’m even dreaming about them! Like last night I had a dream that Adam and I were invited to a fancy ball with a 6 course dinner and flowing champagne and I just decided to go for it. I was so angry at myself when I woke up and then I realised I was dreaming!
The things I’ve been missing would probably surprise you. I don’t miss chocolate or sweets. I do miss peanut butter. And all the beans. I miss gravy that doesn’t taste like sadness. And bread, smoothies and oats. Here’s hoping reintroduction doesn’t rule out any of those foods for me!
But for the most part I intend to maintain a very similar diet to the one I’ve been eating for the past 24 days! Once you get over the initial hurdles, you realise that REAL FOOD can taste pretty damn good. Especially when it tastes like this Mexican Chicken Burger!
I actually came up with this burger a week into my Whole30 when I was craving anything with flavour. No sauce for a week will do that to you! I made up a batch of compliant whole30 mayo and knew exactly what I wanted to pair it with – a delicious grilled chicken breast.
You may have realised already that I’ve been into the Mexican spices of late – just look at my Healthy Chicken Tacos and Mexican Chicken Salad. So it really seemed like a no-brainer to add the same spice blend to this chicken.
Pop it all together on top of a bed of lettuce, tomato and avocado and you’ve got yourself a tasty (bun-less) burger! Oh and some potato or sweet potato wedges on the side, if you are so inclined.
You read correctly that this Mexican Chicken Burger is Low-Carb, Whole30, Paleo AND Gluten-Free, BUT if you want to go ahead and chuck it on a bun, you absolutely can. Just make sure you try it without at least once. I think you’ll be surprised how much you DON’T miss the bread factor!
MORE WHOLE30 RECIPE IDEAS
- Sheet Pan Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs and Vegetables
- 25 of the Best Whole30 Recipes
- Sheet Pan Cajun Chicken and Sweet Potato Bowls
- Crispy Breakfast Potatoes
- Sautéed Green Beans and Mushrooms
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- OR see all Whole30 Recipes
If you’ve tried this Mexican Chicken Burger I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
- 2 chicken breasts, I halved them & flattened with a meat mallet for consistency
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tomato, sliced
- 2 Handfuls Lettuce
- 1/2 Avocado, sliced thinly
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Mix chicken breast with spice blend and oil in a bowl and mix well to combine.
- Cook chicken either on a grill plate or a frying pan, flipping halfway, until cooked through. Approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Assemble lettuce, tomato, avocado & cooked chicken on a plate and serve with a side of mayo!
- You may need to use less of the spice blend or oil if you have smaller breast pieces. You just want enough to cover the chicken sufficiently, so maybe start with half and if you need more add it in.
- Nutrition information is for one serve.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 417 Carbohydrates: 7g Fiber: 4g Sugar: 2g Protein: 49g