Looking for a delicious and easy chicken cashew stir fry that is also Whole30, Paleo & Gluten Free friendly? You've found it! Dig in!
I went ahead and called this "life changing chicken cashew stir fry" on Instagram and I really wasn't exaggerating. For years I have tried to master the elusive perfect chicken cashew stir fry. The majority of my previous attempts would be classed as "mediocre at best", and I've just never quite been able to hit the calibre of deliciousness I've tasted at many Chinese restaurants.
Actually, my most favourite chicken stir fry ever came from the most unlikely of places - the hotel we stayed at in Fiji last year! I ordered it on day one and was hooked! I then preceded to order it every day for our entire week's holiday. It was just that good. It was the thing I was most sad about when we had to leave Fiji. If that doesn't show you how much this girl appreciates a good chicken stir fry, I don't know what will!
When we returned home from Fiji I made it my mission to try and recreate this delicious stir fry. But I just couldn't get it to standard! And I gave up on ever making a chicken stir fry that rated above mediocre.
Then last week we decided to go on the crazy journey that is the Whole30 and I needed to find some approved meals we could eat and stir fry seemed to be the best way to go. I geared up for some more mediocrity in the kitchen and put one together with the compliant ingredients we had on hand. And WOAH! I accidentally created the best chicken cashew stir fry of my life!
And we loved it so much that we went on to eat it for dinner 4 times last week! One thing we've found on Whole30 is a real lack of flavour. Well, let me rephrase - it's a different, more natural flavour. We're so used to sugar laden sauces that bringing it back to basics hasn't exactly been a party for our mouths. BUT this chicken cashew stir fry was just the flavour bomb we'd been praying for!
I'm so excited to share this chicken cashew stir fry with you! It truly is another simple, easy and delicious dinner that you'll want to be making again and again. Enjoy!
MORE WHOLE30 RECIPE IDEAS
- 25 of the Best Whole30 Recipes
- Carrot and Zucchini Fritters
- Sheet Pan Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs and Vegetables
- Mexican Chicken Burger
- Roasted Brussels Sprouts with Bacon
- OR see all Whole30 Recipes
If you’ve tried this Chicken Cashew Stir Fry I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
- 2 chicken breasts, skinless and thinly sliced
- 1 carrots, julienned or ribboned
- 1 zucchini, thinly sliced
- 100 grams / 3 oz green beans , ends trimmed and sliced
- 5 cup mushrooms, thinly sliced
- ¼ red capsicum / bell pepper, diced
- ¼ green capsicum / bell pepper, diced
- ½ broccoli head, cut into florets
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 10 raw cashews
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder / flour
- spring onion / shallots, sliced for serving
- ½ cup chicken broth
- ¼ cup coconut aminos, can sub for soy or tamari sauce
- 1 tsp minced garlic, can sub for fresh
- ½ tsp crushed ginger , can sub for fresh
- ¼ tsp tabasco sauce, or other hot sauce
- 1 tbsp arrowroot powder / flour
- Heat ½ tsp oil in frying pan, add cashews and move constantly until browned and releasing nutty fragrance. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Combine sauce ingredients together, stir well to combine and set aside.
- Combine chicken pieces with 1 tbsp arrowroot flour in a bowl and mix with hands to ensure all chicken is coated.
- Heat frying pan with 1 tbsp oil on medium-high, then cook chicken until browned and cooked through (approx 3-5 minutes). Place cooked chicken in a bowl and set aside.
- Heat ½ tbsp oil in frying pan, add onion and cook until translucent. Add in rest of vegetable ingredients and pan fry until cooked through but still firm (nothing worse than soggy veggies).
- Add chicken, sauce and cashews to pan and stir until sauce thickens. Remove from heat and service immediately with sliced spring onions on top.
- Adapted from A Saucy Kitchen.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 624Saturated Fat: 4gCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 9gSugar: 12gProtein: 58g