This Moroccan Pumpkin and Chickpea soup is an easy and healthy weeknight dinner that's ready in just 40 minutes. Roasting the pumpkin brings out so much flavour and the soup is naturally gluten free.
Pumpkin soup is a quintessential winter warmer and this Moroccan Pumpkin and Chickpea Soup is a new spin on the beloved classic. Made from everyday pantry ingredients, you can easily whip this up for dinner at a moment's notice.
Roasting the pumpkin beforehand draws out amazing flavour, and if you batch roast pumpkin at the start of the week, this soup can be ready in less than 15 minutes on the day.
MOROCCAN PUMPKIN AND CHICKPEA SOUP INGREDIENTS LIST
I almost always have the ingredients on hand for this easy weeknight soup. Here's what you'll need to make it (full measurements listed in the recipe card below)...
- Pumpkin / Squash
- Tinned Chickpeas
- Brown Onion
- Olive Oil – OR you can use coconut oil if you’d prefer.
- Chicken Stock – OR you can use Vegetable Stock if you’d prefer.
- Moroccan Spice Blend - store bought is fine or make your own homemade Moroccan Spice Blend.
- Greek Yoghurt
HOW TO MAKE MOROCCAN PUMPKIN AND CHICKPEA SOUP - STEP BY STEP
Preheat oven to 180C / 350F, place pumpkin on a baking tray and cover in 1 tbsp of olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes or until softened and browned.
Heat remaining oil in large pot on medium high. Add onions and cook until translucent.
Add pumpkin, chickpeas, stock and Moroccan spices and cook for 5 minutes.
Using a stick blender, pulse until soup is your desired consistency.
Serve with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and a sprinkle of dukkah on top!
STORING YOUR SOUP
Store any leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 4 days. This soup freezes really well and is ideal for meal prep. Keep in an airtight container in the freezer for up to 3 months.
MORE SCRUMPTIOUS SOUP RECIPES:
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Cannellini Bean Soup
- Italian Vegetable Orzo Soup
- Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
- OR see all Soup Recipes
If you’ve tried this Moroccan Pumpkin and Chickpea Soup I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
- ½ pumpkin, roasted (SEE NOTE 1)
- 400g / 15 oz tinned chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 brown / yellow onion, diced
- 1 ½ tbsp olive oil
- 500ml / 2 cups chicken or vegetable stock, add more if you prefer a thinner soup
- 1 tsp moroccan spice blend, make your own or buy one (SEE NOTE 2)
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F, place pumpkin on a baking tray and cover in 1 tbsp of olive oil. Roast for 20 minutes or until softened and browned.
- Heat remaining oil in large pot on medium high. Add onions and cook until translucent.
- Add pumpkin, chickpeas, stock and Moroccan spices and cook for 5 minutes.
- Using a stick blender, pulse until soup is your desired consistency.
- Serve with a dollop of Greek yoghurt and a sprinkle of dukkah on top!
- Pumpkin - Use any pumpkin you prefer. Butternut pumpkin / squash is my favourite, but feel free to sub for Jap, Kent, Queensland Blue in Australia, or Sugar or Pie Pumpkin in the US. You can also use canned pumpkin.
- Moroccan Spice Mix - I used a store bought moroccan spice blend that included ground cumin, paprika, turmeric, ground coriander, garlic and salt. You can also easily make a homemade moroccan spice blend.
- To make vegan - Use vegetable stock.
- Storing - Soup will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for 4 days or in the freezer for 3 months.
- Updates - Originally posted in 8th of January 2018. Updated 28th of June, 2019 with more tips & photos - no changes to the original recipe.
- Nutrition - Nutrition information is based on one bowl.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 222Carbohydrates: 32gFiber: 7gSugar: 6gProtein: 9g