These deliciously Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are perfect for using up those overripe bananas sitting on the bench. Ready in just 25 minutes, you can enjoy these muffins for breakfast, snacks or dessert.
These Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are a staple in our house. We just can't get enough of them!
I’ve tried a bunch of healthy banana muffin recipes over the years that taste dense and gross and end up in the bin. This is not one of those recipes.
Made with easy everyday ingredients like whole wheat flour, greek yoghurt, egg and olive oil, you'll love how quickly these muffins come together.
The hardest part is waiting for the muffins to cook. They'll make your home smell absolutely divine and your tummy will be seriously grumbling when the timer finally dings 20 minutes later!
I always have grand plans of freezing a batch for snacks throughout the week but somehow they never quite make it to the freezer...
These Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are...
- Made with 100% whole grains
- Refined sugar free
- Lower calorie to traditional banana choc chip muffins
- Perfect for lunchboxes
- Ready in just 25 minutes
- Irresistible! (I find it incredibly difficult to stop at just one)
Here's what you need to make these muffins (measurements listed in the full recipe at the bottom of this post)...
- Very Ripe Bananas - The spottier, the better.
- Vanilla Extract
- Olive Oil - Or you can use coconut oil instead.
- Plain Greek Yoghurt
- Milk - Works with any milk, so just use what you have on hand.
- Rice Malt Syrup / Brown Rice Syrup - Or you can use honey or maple syrup instead.
- Whole Wheat Flour - Or you can use white all purpose flour instead.
- Baking Powder
- Chocolate Chips
To make these Banana Choc Chip Muffins, simply...
- Preheat oven to 170C or 350F and spray a 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Add bananas, rice malt syrup, vanilla, oil, egg, yoghurt and milk to a blender and blend on high for 1 minute until well combined (photos 1-2).
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, then whisk together with a pinch of salt (photos 3-4).
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't over mix (photos 5-6).
- Gently fold in chocolate chips (photo 7).
- Divide batter into muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean (photo 8).
- Cool muffins in tin for 5 minutes then move to a wire rack until cooled completely.
HOW TO STORE MUFFINS TO KEEP THEM FRESH
No one likes a stale muffin. Once your muffins have cooled completely, transfer them to an airtight container lined with paper towel. Once the muffins are assembled, pop a paper towel on top and close the lid. Store the container at room temperature away from direct sunlight for 2-3 days.
CAN I FREEZE THESE MUFFINS?
These muffins freeze wonderfully and are great for meal-prep snacks or lunchbox fillers. To avoid freezer burn, individually wrap the muffins in plastic film / cling wrap, then pop altogether in a freezer bag or airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
MORE SCRUMPTIOUS SNACK RECIPES:
- Mini Banana Muffins
- Spinach and Ricotta Rolls
- No Bake Chocolate Coconut Slice
- Air Fryer Roasted Almonds
- Healthy Chocolate Crackles
- Healthy Apricot Energy Balls
- OR see all Snack Recipes
If you’ve tried this Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffin I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
These deliciously Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins are perfect for using up those overripe bananas sitting on the bench. Ready in under 30 minutes, you can enjoy these muffins for breakfast, snacks or dessert.
- 2 very ripe Bananas
- 1 tablespoon Vanilla Essence
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil, make sure it's light flavoured
- 1 Egg
- ½ cup plain Greek Yoghurt
- 1 tablespoon Milk
- 1 tablespoon Rice Malt Syrup / Brown Rice Syrup
- 1 cup Wholemeal / Whole Wheat Flour
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ cup Chocolate Chips
- Preheat oven to 170C or 350F. Spray 12 cup muffin tin with non-stick spray.
- Add bananas, rice malt syrup, vanilla, oil, egg, yoghurt and milk to a blend and blend on high for 1 minute until well combined.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a large mixing bowl, then whisk together with a pinch of salt.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don’t over mix.
- Toss the chocolate chips with some flour, then gently fold in. This stops them from sinking to the bottom.
- Divide batter into muffin tins and bake for 20 minutes or until tooth pick comes out clean.
- Cool muffins in tin for 5 minutes then move to wire rack to finish cooling.
- Inspiration - Adapted from Ambitious Kitchen.
- Bananas - This recipe works best with very ripe bananas. The spottier, the better.
- Olive Oil - You can use coconut oil instead.
- Milk - Works with any milk, so just use what you have on hand.
- Rice Malt Syrup / Brown Rice Syrup - You can use honey or maple syrup instead.
- Whole Wheat Flour - You can use white all purpose flour instead.
- Chocolate Chips - toss them with some flour before adding them to the mixing bowl to stop them from sinking.
- Storing - Store in an airtight container lined with paper towel at room temperature for 2-3 days.
- Freezing - Individually wrap the muffins in plastic film / cling wrap, then pop altogether in a freezer bag or airtight container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
- Updates - First Published July 30, 2018. Last Updated March 5, 2019 with new photos and tips. No changes to the recipe.
- Nutrition - Nutrition information is a rough estimate based on one muffin.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 116Carbohydrates: 18gFiber: 1gSugar: 8gProtein: 2g
Just so you know the ingredient list calls for baking powder but directions mention baking soda. I ended up looking up original recipe to clarify. Thank you for a great alternative!
Thank you for picking that up Yuliya! I have gone and fixed it now! Hope you enjoy! 🙂
lovely recipe. i love banana chocolate combination. these are surely a helthier version. am definitely trying these soon.
I love banana chocolate too!!
Chris Waghorn says
Loving the look of these, especially how easy they look to make!
Amber Nelson says
Ok, these look completely amazing. I could eat all of those in one sitting! I am a huge muffin fan!
You and me both Amber!
Renee @ The Good Hearted Woman says
My plan is to make a couple dozen muffins this weekend to stash in the freezer for on-the-go breakfasts, etc. These sound great!
That sounds like a great plan Renee!
I've never tried banana and chocolate chip muffins before, but they look and sound absolutely delicious. I would most definitely give them a try 🙂
Awesome Louise! Hope you enjoy!
Cassie Tucker says
There isn’t anything untasty about these muffins. My husband would devour a whole batch on his own.
Your husband and me both Cassie! I have to really stop myself eating the whole thing!
Yasmin Ali says
I know this is good, because reading the recipe makes me hungry already!
Naww thanks so much Yasmin!
Yum. i want to make muffins today so this is a great post to stumble upon. I will try this recipe it looks DELICIOUS!
Awesome Jeanine! I really hope you enjoy!
Omg these chocolate banana muffins look delicious!
Thanks so much Suzanne!
Krystal // The Krystal Diaries says
I love making muffins and banana ones are one of my favorite to make. I need to try this recipe.
Awesome Krystal! Hope you enjoy 🙂
I want this..I want this! Haha..I have been planning to make muffins but never happened. But this looks good and I think I can make it. Will try your recipe! 🙂
I hope you love them Tracy!
Cindy Ingalls says
Yum. I've made muffins similar to this, but with only 3 ingredients. These look a lot heartier. I especially love the addition of the vanilla.
3 ingredients!? Wowser - that sounds great!
Thanks for this, my daughter wants to have ago at making these yummy Muffins!! Thanks for your post!!
That's awesome Rachel! Hope you enjoy 🙂
These look delicious! My kids would love these. They love bananas and chocolate too so I will make this for the family to enjoy!
That's awesome Kristina! Hope you all enjoy!
TINA H says
These looks so yummy! I definitely need to give this a try!
Thanks Tina 🙂
Always looking for a good muffin recipe, they look delicious
Thanks so much Priti!
I need to do some more baking soon as these sound so yummy x
I hope you enjoy Rhian!
Amanda Love says
I love muffins! They're filling and easy to make and perfect for breakfast. These are great, I always like the combination of banana and chocolate too! I love that the recipe is flexible.
Thanks Amanda! Glad you like it!
Ophelia Tang says
The muffins looks delicious. I will definitely try to make it asap. Thanks for sharing.
XOXO //SINCERELY OPHELIA | NYC Petite Fashion Blogger
These look SO good! I love anything with banana and I'm always looking for new recipes to try out when my bananas ripen. Can't wait to add this one to the list!
Hope you love it Megan!
Heather McMechan says
I'm always looking for another breakfast/snack alternative for my kids. This looks like a great recipe.
Thanks so much Heather! I hope you enjoy!
Joanna @ Everyday Made Fresh says
I'm with you, I've had some healthy muffins that aren't good at all! The ingredients sound like they make a great healthy muffin!!
Thanks Joanna! I'm happy to finally find a recipe I like!
You had me at healthy! This sounds delicious, and just what I need this summer!
Awesome Theresa! Hope you like them!
These look fantastic! I love all the substitutions you can make. They look so yummy while also being healthy. I'm forever buying bananas thinking I will eat them before they go bad, and I never do, so this is a perfect solution. Can't wait to try!
Awesome Allie! Hope you enjoy them!
Angela Tolsma says
I love the "lightbulb" saying when it's done right! Despicable Me is such a good movie! These look so good, Banana's never last long enough in my house.
I loved the movie Angela!
Terri Steffes says
These look so good! I am ready to bite the screen!
Haha thanks Terri!
Jalisa Harris says
These look delicious. The last time I saw a similar recipe on Pinterest I tried whipping it up from scratch it didn't come out like this. Haha. I'll leave it to you.
Haha Jalisa we've all been there!
Love banana chocolate muffins. I can have them for breakfast everyday. These look delicious.
Yum! So good for breaky for sure!
Oh these look delicious.I'll have to give them a try. Always looking for new snack recipes
Hope you enjoy Di!
Robin Rue says
I love things like this that I can grab and go with. I am always running out the door without eating, so these are perfect.
Perfect for running out the door!
Shoshana Sue says
Great to know that the muffins freeze well. I will try out the recipe and I appreciate that a lot of ingredients can actually be substituted!
Awesome Shoshana! Hope you like it!