This easy and healthy Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry is a 30 minute one pot wonder! This vegan and gluten-free dish uses yellow curry paste and coconut milk as a base to make a seriously delicious and creamy curry.
I recently did a poll on Instagram Stories to see what types of recipes you guys wanted to see more of and there was a resounding “YES PLEASE” for more quick dinners and one pot dishes.
So here’s one that ticks BOTH of those boxes – Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry.
It’s ready in 30 minutes and it’s all done in just one pot. The combination of flavours work so well together and I love that I even snuck a bit of greenery in there for good measure.
Serve this curry on it’s own or with rice but do yourself a favour and add crushed peanuts on top for some crunch. Seriously. It’s SO good.
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS SWEET POTATO, CHICKPEA AND SPINACH CURRY…
- It’s ready in 30 minutes.
- It’s made in one pot – less washing up!
- It uses everyday ingredients.
- It’s perfect for Meatless Monday.
SWEET POTATO, CHICKPEA AND SPINACH CURRY INGREDIENTS LIST
One of the reasons why I love this curry so much is that I almost always have the ingredients on hand. Here’s what you’ll need to whip this up…
- Olive Oil
- Sweet Potato
- Brown Onion
- Red capsicum / bell pepper
- Baby Spinach
- Tinned Chickpeas
- Coconut Milk
- Yellow Curry Paste
- Soy Sauce
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO, CHICKPEA AND SPINACH CURRY – STEP BY STEP
Putting this curry together couldn’t be easier, which is why it is one of my weeknight wonders. Here’s what you need to do…
- Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in a large pot.
- Add sweet potato, capsicum /bell pepper, carrot and chickpeas to the pot and cook for 1 minute.
- Add everything else (except for the spinach) to the pot – coconut milk, curry paste, soy sauce and water.
- Simmer until the sweet potatoes have cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir spinach through the curry until wilted.
WHAT TO SERVE THIS CURRY WITH
I love to serve this curry on top of a bed of basmati rice but brown rice would work well too. You could even serve it with cauliflower rice for a low carb version. I also like to sprinkle some crushed peanuts on top for extra crunch.
MORE DELICIOUS DINNER IDEAS
- Sweet Potato, Lentil and Chickpea Curry
- Vegetable Barley Soup
- Zucchini and Haloumi Fritters with Sweet Corn
- Mexican Chicken Salad
- Thai Green Vegetable Curry
If you’ve tried this Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 sweet potato peeled & diced
- 1 brown onion diced
- 1 red capsicum / bell pepper diced
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 cup baby spinach washed
- 400g / 15 oz can chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 400ml / 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 1 tsp soy sauce / tamari / coconut aminos
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp unsalted peanuts crushed
- cooked rice
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-high. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and ginger and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potato, capsicum / bell pepper, carrot and chickpeas to the saucepan and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add coconut milk, curry paste, soy sauce and water to the saucepan and stir to combine. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is cooked fully.
- Stir baby spinach through curry until wilted, then serve either on it's own or on top of rice with a sprinkle of peanuts on top.
- Recipe first published May 28, 2018. Post updated April 17, 2019 with added photos and tips. No change to the recipe.
- Nutrition information is from a nutrition calculator and is based on one serve without rice.