Vegetarian sweet potato nachos that are so good you won't miss corn chips or meat! Perfect for meatless monday or anytime you feel like nachos (which for me is ALL THE TIME).
Guys, I've had this vegetarian sweet potato nachos recipe up my sleeve for over two month's now and I really couldn't wait any longer to share it! But the reason it was delayed was because it has taken me so long to try and get a good photo of it!
Just when I thought I was happy with my photo I realised I forgot to put on guacamole - SHAME! I was too focused on the fact I couldn’t dig into the cheese with my current hiatus on all things dairy and flat out forgot one of the best parts!
Ah well, I'm posting this guac-less atrocity and my other previous failed attempts at the bottom of this post for anyone who needs a good laugh today!
And on my fourth attempt I now finally have some photos I am happy with - HOORAY!
Here's the good news - regardless of what it looks like it TASTES AMAZING!
Sweet potato really is the star of this recipe, taking the place of corn chips and I think I might be so bold to say I actually prefer it this way! And that’s coming for a true corn chip lover. Seriously, my favourite corn chip is original salted and I happily eat them plain. I think that makes me basic… But I’m ok with it.
The corn, capsicum and black beans bulk up the nachos and in no way make you miss meat in this recipe! And to top it off – tasty salsa, guacamole and cheese!
It comes together very quickly and if you do the different components altogether it really shouldn’t take you much longer than 30 minutes!
MORE DELICIOUS DINNER IDEAS
- 25 Quick and Easy Healthy Dinner Recipes
- Sweet Potato, Lentil and Chickpea Curry
- Sheet Pan Crispy Baked Chicken Thighs and Vegetables
- Healthy Chicken Tacos
- Healthy Zucchini Slice
- Grilled Sausage and Veggie Skewers
- OR see all Dinner Recipes
If you’ve tried this Vegetarian Sweet Potato Nachos I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
Vegetarian Sweet Potato Nachos
Vegetarian sweet potato nachos that are so good you won't miss corn chips or meat!
- 2 sweet potatoes, sliced into ¼ inch rounds
- 400 grams / 15 oz canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- ½ cup red capsicum / bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup shredded cheese, I used cheddar
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper / chilli
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- lemon juice
- salt + pepper
- Preheat oven to 200C / 400F and line a baking sheet with baking paper. Put sweet potato rounds in a bowl and drizzle 1 tbsp. of olive oil and salt and pepper. Mix around until all are covered, then arrange in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, flipping once half way through. The rounds should be slightly browned.
- Remove the sweet potato rounds from the oven but leave the oven on for the sweet potato assembly.
Corn & Capsicum
- Dry roast corn kernels & capsicum in a non-stick fry-pan on medium heat. If you are worried that your pan won’t handle dry roasting, add in a small amount of oil. Stir regularly for 5 minutes or until all kernels & capsicum are browned.
- Heat black beans in a saucepan on medium heat. Add in cumin, cayenne pepper and garlic powder and stir to combine. Cook for about 5 minutes or until beans start to open, then crush with the back of a spoon to resemble refried beans or leave as is.
- Scoop avocado into a bowl, and combine with 1 teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon juice.
- Arrange cooked sweet potato rounds on a baking sheet covered with baking paper, then spread black beans and corn on top. Then add avocado, salsa and lastly cheese and cook in the oven for 5-10 minutes until the cheese is completely melted.
- Serve immediately and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 280Saturated Fat: 3gCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 7gSugar: 7gProtein: 7g
- You can make your own salsa if you are that way inclined (I’m not that way inclined)
- You can sub making your own guacamole for store bought
- I have tried this recipe without oiling my sweet potato chips. It still works and tastes good, but I prefer with oil
The bloopers / failed attempts:
Pin it for later!
Updated 17th October 2017
Susan Minich says
I love the bloopers! These look divine!
Thank you! 🙂
Omg,can we say yum?! I just love nachos. Never thought about using sweet potatoes before. Must give these a try. Deliciousness
You can definitely say yum haha!
Nicole Caudle says
These nachos look amazing! Sweet potatoes are so healthy I never thought to try this!
Hope you enjoy Nicole!
Oh yes! I'm definitely more conscious of what eat nowadays and I'm trying to eat healthier, so I just bookmarked this. Thanks!
Awesome Sara 🙂
These look delicious and definitely add some flavor to a vegetable dish. My mother-in-law is vegetarian and would probably really like these.
Perfect vego meal!
Oh these look delicious for a health dinner or snack! Making these for sure!
Hope you like them Reesa!
Krystle Cook says
These look like a really interesting way to have nachos. I never would have thought about sweet potato chips.
Oh man sweet potato chips even without the nachos are awesome too!
Amber Nelson says
Wow, that looks really interesting! i am a big fan of sweet potatoes so this would be right up my alley.
Yum! I love sweet potatoes too!
Journa Ramirez says
Nachos and sweet potatoes are my favorite but I've never tried eating sweet potato nachos! I'll make this soon. Looks so yummy
It's so good Journa!
Hannah Marie says
We love sweet potato here! Always available anywhere in the country. Thanks for this, I can't wait to try this 🙂
Hope you like Hannah!
I've been looking for a good sweet potato recipe, so I'm so glad I found this! I try to eat veggie food as often as I can.
It's such a good way to get in the veggies Cecilia!
Kelly Hutchinson says
This recipe is as beautiful as it looks delicious! I have never thought to use sweet potatoes in a nacho recipe!
It's so delicious Kelly 🙂 Thanks so much!
Courteney Noonan says
I love sweet potato but I've never heard of sweet potato nachos before. I'm definitely going to try these with my boyfriend!
I need to make some potato nachos and these look really yummy x
Hope you enjoy Rhian!
Karissa @WithOurBest (@withourbest) says
Yummy!! I love all these ingredients. Sweet potatoes are my addiction!! I have never cooked them like this before!!
Give it a go Karissa!
Terri Steffes says
Oh yeah, these are on my list to try. What a great idea! I love all the ingredients, should be a winner for us!
Hope you like it Terri!
This looks so great and so pretty too! I love that you shared some bloopers too 🙂
Haha if you can't have a laugh at yourself what can you do? Thanks Shannon!
This looks delicious! I'm not a huge sweet potato fan but my mom is so making this the next time I visit would make me the perfect daughter lol you can never go wrong with nachos!
so true Alison! Hope your mum enjoys!
Crystal Carder says
Without photos, I would have never thought sweet potatoe nachos could looks so delicious! I absolutely love this recipe, it would be great for a late night snack.
Soo tasty Crystal!
Nancy Johnson Horn says
This looks amazing, but I am wondering if slicing the sweet potatoes thinner, like with a mandolin, would make them crispier? And guacamole is life! I have to go very light on dairy, so I would probably try a dairy free cheese substitute. I can't wait to try this!
Nancy, if you have a mandolin go for it! Sadly I don't have one but I'm sure it would make them crispier!
Jenny - www.ajennysaved.com says
How interesting! I have tried sweet potato toast & written about it on my blog but not tried this! Will have to give it a go 🙂
I actually haven't tried sweet potato toast yet! One for the list - I'll look up your post!
Yummy and healthy! Very unique recipe I'd try sometime. I bet the combination of flavors is amazing!
It is so good Jeanine!
aish das-padihari says
Sweet potato nachos look so tasty. I will give it a try since I love sweet potatoes.
I hope you like Aish!
This looks delicious!!! I need to make this one night, unfortunately my hubs does not like sweet potatoes so I will make it one night he is working late lol
Haha good idea Jessica!
Bernadette Callahan says
This would be a great side for Thanksgiving 🙂
Sarah-Louise Bailey says
Looks so delicious! Sweet Potato is loaded with vitamin A and fiber . Very good for health. Will definitely try this recipe.
So much goodness in one sweet potato for sure!
Tiffany Montgomery says
Sweet potatoe and black beans are a perfect combination! I'll be trying this next week!
I agree Tiffany! Hope you enjoy!
Jane Davidson says
Omg this is too funny! I was putting together my meal plan for next week and was thinking, I really want some healthy nachos. I'll have to look some up. And then poof! Here is your post! This is perfect.
I read your mind Jane 🙂
Heather Johnson says
My family is a fan of sweet potatoes. I never would have thought to make sweet potato nachos. Yum!
They are so good Heather! Enjoy!
One Pot Living says
I love sweet potatoes and my husband loves nachos so I think this is a done deal!
Woo Hoo! Enjoy!
I've never had sweet potato nachos. It sounds so healthy and delicious!
But the best part is it doesn't feel healthy!
Cecilia C. Cannon says
this is awesome. we have been vacationing for way too long and head back this weekend, back to eating healthy and staying healthy. will save this recipe. thanks.
Vacations can be tough on diet! Enjoy being home and back to routine!