This easy and healthy Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry is an easy 30 minute one pot wonder! This vegan and gluten-free dish uses yellow curry paste and coconut milk as a base to make a seriously delicious and creamy curry. This curry freezes beautifully, so store some away for those nights you don’t want to cook.
FOR THE FULL LIST OF INGREDIENTS AND COMPREHENSIVE INSTRUCTIONS, PLEASE SEE THE PRINTABLE RECIPE CARD AT THE END OF THIS POST. BEFORE YOU SCROLL, THIS POST IS FILLED WITH HELPFUL INFORMATION FOR MAKING THIS RECIPE.
I recently did a poll on Instagram to see what types of recipes you guys wanted to see more of and there was a resounding “YES PLEASE” for more quick dinners and one pot dishes.
So here’s one that ticks BOTH of those boxes – Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry.
It’s ready in 30 minutes and it’s all done in just one pot. The combination of flavours work so well together and I love that I even snuck a bit of greenery in there for good measure.
Serve this curry on it’s own or with rice but do yourself a favour and add crushed peanuts on top for some crunch. Seriously. It’s SO good.
And why not make some quick and easy yoghurt flatbreads too? They are the perfect addition to this curry!
WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS SWEET POTATO, CHICKPEA AND SPINACH CURRY…
- It’s ready in 30 minutes.
- It’s made in one pot – less washing up!
- It uses everyday ingredients.
- It’s perfect for Meatless Monday.
SWEET POTATO, CHICKPEA AND SPINACH CURRY INGREDIENTS LIST
One of the reasons why I love this curry so much is that I almost always have the ingredients on hand. Here’s what you’ll need to whip this up…
- Olive Oil
- Sweet Potato
- Brown Onion
- Red capsicum / bell pepper
- Baby Spinach
- Tinned Chickpeas
- Coconut Milk
- Yellow Curry Paste
- Soy Sauce
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO, CHICKPEA AND SPINACH CURRY – STEP BY STEP
Putting this curry together couldn’t be easier, which is why it is one of my weeknight wonders. Here’s what you need to do…
- Sauté the onion, garlic and ginger in a large pot.
- Add sweet potato, capsicum /bell pepper, carrot and chickpeas to the pot and cook for 1 minute.
- Add everything else (except for the spinach) to the pot – coconut milk, curry paste, soy sauce and water.
- Simmer until the sweet potatoes have cooked and the sauce has thickened.
- Stir spinach through the curry until wilted.
WHAT TO SERVE THIS CURRY WITH
I love to serve this curry on top of a bed of basmati rice but brown rice would work well too. You could even serve it with cauliflower rice for a low carb version. I also like to sprinkle some crushed peanuts or cashews on top for extra crunch.
Some quick and easy yoghurt flatbread (pictured below) or naan bread is also great for soaking up the curry sauce, or stuffing the vegetables into.
STORING YOUR CURRY
Store leftover curry in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 days, or store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
MORE DELICIOUS MEATLESS DINNER IDEAS
- Sweet Potato, Lentil and Chickpea Curry
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato Nachos
- Spaghetti with Garlic and Oil
- Zucchini and Halloumi Fritters with Sweet Corn
- Pumpkin and Chickpea Curry
- Thai Green Vegetable Curry
- Or see all Vegan Recipes
If you’ve tried this Sweet Potato, Chickpea and Spinach Curry I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 sweet potato, peeled & diced
- 1 brown onion, diced
- 1 red capsicum / bell pepper, diced
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1 cup baby spinach, washed
- 400g / 15 oz can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 400ml / 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 1 tbsp yellow curry paste
- 1 tsp soy sauce / tamari / coconut aminos
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1/2 tsp crushed ginger
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp unsalted peanuts or cashews, crushed
- cooked rice / cauliflower rice
- flatbread / naan bread
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium-high. Add onions and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and ginger and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add sweet potato, capsicum / bell pepper, carrot and chickpeas to the saucepan and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly.
- Add coconut milk, curry paste, soy sauce and water to the saucepan and stir to combine. Bring to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer for 20 minutes, or until the sweet potato is cooked fully.
- Stir baby spinach through curry until wilted, then serve either on it's own or on top of rice with a sprinkle of peanuts on top.
- This curry works well with red curry paste if you're looking for a spicier curry. You might like to add in some red pepper flakes in too!
- If you are wanting to make this vegan / vegetarian, be sure to check which curry paste you use.
- Recipe first published May 28, 2018. Post updated July 9, 2019 with added photos and tips. No change to the recipe.
- Nutrition information is from a nutrition calculator and is based on one serve without rice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: bowl
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 456 Saturated Fat: 19g Sodium: 104mg Carbohydrates: 44g Fiber: 10g Sugar: 9g Protein: 13g