This Easy Apple Cake recipe is great for when you need a dessert in a pinch. Made with simple everyday ingredients including yogurt, eggs and butter, and topped with fresh apple slices that caramelise during baking. This apple yogurt cake is moist and flavourful and great served warm or cold. The best apple cake recipe you'll ever try!
Whether you're wondering what to make with all those apples sitting at the bottom of the fridge, or you need an impressive dessert and don't have time to hit the store - this Easy Apple Cake is here to save the day!
Why you'll love this recipe...
- Apple & Cinnamon - classic dessert pairing.
- Made from everyday ingredients - no weird purchases necessary.
- Effortlessly impressive - it's so easy to make but looks fancy.
How do you cut apples for apple cake
Cutting apples into slices to top your apple cake is simple.
First, peel your apples (photo 1). Then cut into quarters (photo 2). Then cut your quarters into thin slices (photos 3 and 4).
Easy Apple Cake Ingredients List
I don't think I can emphasise enough just how easy this apple cake is to make. I don't know about you but aside from occasionally running out of greek yoghurt we keep the rest of these ingredients hand at all time. Here's what you'll need to whip this up (full measurements listed in the recipe card below)...
- Greek Yoghurt
- Caster Sugar
- Self Raising Flour - OR if in America, sub for All Purpose Flour & Baking Powder. Store bought self raising flour in America contains salt.
- Vanilla Extract
- Cinnamon Sugar - I make this myself by mixing 3 tbsps granulated sugar with 1 & ½ teaspoons of cinnamon.
How to make Easy Apple Cake - Step by Step
How long does apple yogurt cake keep?
Apple cake can be stored in an airtight container in a cool, dark place for a day or two. If you're going to need a bit more time eating it, or your kitchen is unusually warm, store it in the fridge for up to 5 days. Allow to come to room temperature, or warm slightly, before eating.
Can you freeze apple yogurt cake?
You can freeze this cake. Allow to cool fully, then store it in an airtight container, or individually wrap slices to portion out. Freeze for 1 month. Allow to thaw before serving.
TIPS FOR MAKING EASY APPLE CAKE
- If you're in America, don't use Self Raising Flour as the recipe directs. Store bought self raising flour contains salt (as it's commonly used for biscuits). Instead, use 1 cup of all purpose flour and 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
- Most apples will work well in this recipe so you can choose your own adventure. I use pink lady, as I love it's sweetness. You could also try gala or fuji, or if you prefer a more tart apple - honeycrisp or granny smith.
- You could even used tinned apple slices to top this cake.
- Try using this base recipe for other fruits like pear or peaches - YUM!
MORE DELICIOUS DESSERTS
- Easy Banana Cake
- Air Fryer Apple Turnovers
- Oreo Cheesecake Balls
- Buttermilk Banana Bread
- Flourless Orange and Almond Cakes
- Carrot Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting
- Snickers Nice Cream
- Mini Apple Crisps
- OR see all Dessert Recipes
If you’ve tried this Easy Apple Cake I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
- 1 cup Greek Yoghurt
- 2 Eggs, lightly whisked
- 1 cup Caster Sugar, SEE NOTE 1
- 125g / 4.4oz Butter, melted
- 1 cup Self Raising Flour, sifted, SEE NOTE 2 IF IN AMERICA
- ½ tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Apples, peeled, quartered and thinly sliced SEE NOTE 3
- 1 tbsp Cinnamon Sugar, SEE NOTE 4
To Serve (Optional)
- Vanilla Ice Cream
- Greek Yoghurt
- Preheat oven 160C / 320F.
- Mix eggs, sugar, butter, cinnamon, vanilla & yoghurt together in a large bowl.
- Gradually fold in the self raising flour and mix until just combined.
- Pour into greased springform pan (22cm / 9 inch) or round cake tin.
- Arrange apple slices on top in a decorative pattern. Sprinkle apple slices with cinnamon sugar.
- Pop in oven for 45 mins, or until golden and skewer comes out clean. Allow to cool.
- Serve as is, warm or room tempature, or with cream, ice cream, custard or yoghurt.
Caster Sugar is known as superfine sugar, baker's sugar or bar sugar in America.
If you are in America, don't use Self Raising Flour (as your store bought kind has added salt). Instead, use all purpose / plain flour mixed with 2 teaspoons of baking powder.
Most apples will work well in this recipe. I like to use pink lady as I prefer a sweeter apple. Fuji or gala would also work well. Or if you like a more tart apple - honeycrisp or granny smith. You could even use tinned apples.
You can buy pre-made cinnamon sugar from the spice section of your supermarket or just make your own. Simply mix 3 tbsps of granulated sugar with 1 & ½ tsps on cinnamon. Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Try different fruits instead of apple - peach or pear would work well - YUM!
Store in an airtight container in a cool dry place for 2 days, or in the fridge for up to 5 days. You can also freeze leftovers for up to 1 month.
Adapted from this recipe from Baby Mac.
Apple Cake is an indulgence. Nutrition information only added to keep the google overloads and the calorie police happy.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 333Saturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 76mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 45gFiber: 2gSugar: 32gProtein: 6g