Bacon lovers rejoice! Bacon and Mushroom Pasta is the delicious, easy and fast weeknight dinner you’ve been waiting for. This irresistible penne pasta dish has a spicy tomato sauce that’s fully loaded with bacon, mushrooms and garlic. Serve with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and a slice of crusty bread for soaking up that sauce.
I’m yet to meet a pasta I didn’t like. The combination of carbs, cheese and a rich sauce is one I find myself always craving. And considering so many pasta dishes make easy weeknight dinners, I can satisfy my cravings anytime.
This Bacon and Mushroom Pasta has been on high rotation in our house of late. It’s the very definition of a tasty weeknight wonder – ready in 25 minutes and full of flavour.
There’s plenty of things to love about this dish. There’s the obvious – bacon and mushroom are the perfect pair. They are even better when nestled in a spicy tomato sauce, which is a huge highlight for this dish.
Most of the ingredients for this pasta are pantry staples, so no need to buy any weird ingredients you’ll never use again.
This recipe is for 2, but you can easily double or triple it for a bigger crowd.
You’ll love this Bacon and Mushroom Pasta because…
- It’s a super easy weeknight dinner – ready in 25 minutes.
- Made from mostly pantry ingredients – easy to keep everything on hand.
- Reheats well – leftovers are great for lunch the next day!
BACON AND MUSHROOM PASTA INGREDIENTS LIST
I love a good dish that is made from mostly pantry ingredients you always have on hand. Freeze some slices of bacon and you can make this dish whenever you’ve got nothing else in the house! Here’s what you’ll need (full measurements below)…
- Penne Pasta
- Olive Oil
- Tinned Diced Tomatoes
- Red Chilli Flakes / Crushed Red Pepper
- Italian Herbs
- Salt + Pepper
DON’T THROW OUT YOUR PASTA WATER
Have you been drowning your naked cooked pasta in pasta sauce and calling it a day, only to find the sauce doesn’t really stick to your pasta? Or worse – you find a red watery mess at the bottom of your plate.
Well guys, the madness stops here.
The secret to the best pasta ever is all in your pasta water.
The salty, starchy pasta water works its magic in a few ways…
- It adds flavour and richness to the sauce
- It thickens the sauce
- It helps the sauce stick to the pasta
Goodbye red plate puddles. Hello best pasta ever!
All you need to do is reserve half a mug of pasta water just before you drain your pasta.
Then add your cooked pasta and some of the pasta water to your pasta sauce (start with 1/4 cup), and cook for a few minutes, tossing regularly. The sauce will thin out initially, but don’t worry, it will quickly thicken into a delicious creamy texture.
Give it a try – you’ll never go back!
HOW TO MAKE BACON AND MUSHROOM PASTA – STEP BY STEP
TOP TIPS FOR MAKING BACON AND MUSHROOM PASTA
- Salt your pasta water once it’s boiling – Salting the water adds flavour to the water, which is absorbed by the food. As a general rule of thumb use 1 tbsp salt to 1 pound / 500 grams of pasta.
- Save some pasta water – Reserve half a mug of pasta water just before draining.
- Mix cooked pasta, pasta water and sauce ASAP – Don’t let your pasta sit too long after you drain it or it will stick together. Drain it and throw it immediately into the sauce with your pasta water.
MORE DELICIOUS DINNER RECIPES
- Mexican Chicken Salad
- Vegetable Barley Soup
- Zucchini and Halloumi Fritters with Sweet Corn
- Healthy Chicken Tacos
- Split Pea Soup
- OR see all Dinner Recipes
If you’ve tried this Bacon and Mushroom Pasta I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Onion, diced
- 2 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Bacon Slices, diced
- 1 cup Mushrooms , sliced (I used cup mushrooms)
- 400ml / 14.5oz Tinned Diced Tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp Red Chilli Flakes / Crushed Red Pepper, more to taste
- 1 tsp Dried Italian Herbs, or sub for 1/2 tsp oregano & 1/2 tsp basil
- Salt + Pepper, to taste
- 200 grams / 7 oz Penne Pasta
- Parmesan Cheese
- Heat olive oil in a frying pan.
- Add onion, garlic and bacon to the pan and sauté until onion is softened, approx. 2-3 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to the pan, and sauté for another 2-3 mins, or until the mushrooms have softened.
- Add tinned tomatoes, red chilli flakes, dried Italian herbs and salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low and allow to simmer for 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add penne pasta and a pinch of salt and cook until just shy of al dente. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 a cup of the pasta cooking water.
- Add cooked penne and reserved pasta water to the frying pan. Cook, tossing, until the sauce thickens and coats the pasta, approx. 1-2 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese on top.
- Salt your pasta water once it's boiling - Salting the water adds flavour to the water, which is absorbed by the food. As a general rule of thumb use 1 tbsp salt to 1 pound / 500 grams of pasta.
- Save some pasta water - Reserve half a mug of pasta water just before draining.
- Mix cooked pasta, pasta water and sauce ASAP - Don't let your pasta sit too long after you drain it or it will stick together. Drain it and throw it immediately into the sauce with your pasta water.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 378 Total Fat: 15g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 10g Cholesterol: 49mg Sodium: 786mg Carbohydrates: 41g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 7g Protein: 21g