This Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup is made with simple every day ingredients and is perfect for dinner on those nights when your cupboard (and fridge) is bare! Not to mention it's Whole30, Paleo and Vegan friendly.
This Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup is so simple - and I LOVE simple. Seriously, whenever I see a recipe with 10+ ingredients and a huge list of instructions my eyes start to glaze over. Gimme simple and delicious EVERY DAY.
This soup came about when I had very little food in the house and was desperate to not have to go to the grocery store. I always seem to have plenty of sweet potatoes, carrots, onions and stock in my house, so I decided to make a new spin on my Roasted Pumpkin Soup.
And wouldn't you know it - it was a winner.
I sadly still had to go to the damn grocery store... but that's a whole other story!
Regardless I'm keeping this sweet potato and carrot soup in my back pocket for the next time I'm feeling lazy and have a whole lot of nothing in the cupboard.
Let's dig in...
MORE SCRUMPTIOUS SOUP RECIPES:
- Roasted Cauliflower Soup
- Split Pea Soup
- Minestrone Soup
- Vegetable Barley Soup
- Potato and Leek Soup
- OR see all Soup Recipes
If you’ve tried this Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup
This Sweet Potato and Carrot Soup is made with simple every day ingredients and is perfect for dinner on those nights when your cupboard (and fridge) is bare!
- 2 sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 brown onion, quartered
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Litre / 4 cups Chicken or Vegetable Stock
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- salt + pepper, to taste
- coconut cream / greek yoghurt , to serve
- chilli flakes or cayenne pepper, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180C / 350F. Arrange sweet potatoes, carrots and onion on a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Place in oven for 20-30 minutes, until the vegetables are cooked.
- Place vegetables in a large pot and pour stock over. Using an immersion blender, blend until soup is smooth.
- Place pot on medium-high heat and mix in garlic powder, cumin, salt & pepper. Cook for 2-3 minutes to ensure heated through then serve immediately.
- Use Vegetable Stock to make Vegan.
- Sub stock for fresh broth to make Whole30 compliant.
- Feel free to use less stock/broth if you prefer your soup to be thicker.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: bowl
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 161Carbohydrates: 23gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 6g
What if I don't have an immersion blender? Can I use a food processor before blending with the stock?
Hey Linsey - do you have a regular blender? could always use that (just make sure that it's ok to handle hot food or let it cool down before blending). Otherwise a potato masher would work in a pinch. the soup may have a more chunky consistency that way but no problems.
When do you add the coconut milk? Will it make it thicker or thinner?
You can add the coconut cream at the very end when you've dished it out if you'd like. I only add a dash for flavour, so it won't impact the thickness of the soup much at all.
Do I boil the vegetables and the stock?
You blend the vegetables and the stock together after the vegetables have roasted, then place it on heat to warm it up before serving. I wouldn't recommend bringing it to a boil at this stage, no.
Can I let this soup cool and freeze it?
Absolutely! It'll freeze very well 🙂
Congratulations! So excited to hear all about the wedding. I had absolutely nothing in the house for dinner last night and was really not wanting to go out so so happy when I saw this soup. Had all the ingredients and hit the spot
Thanks Laurel 🙂 we're very excited over here! I'm so glad this soup was as good to you as it was to me