Jade Jones from the food blog Jonesin' For Taste shares her tips and tricks for how to repurpose produce odds and ends. Save money and reduce food waste by making the most of your fresh produce every week!
Today's episode is all about how to use up those produce odds and ends that are wilting away in the bottom of your crisper.
I speak to Jade Jones, the creator of the food blog, Jonesin' For Taste. On her blog, Jade shares recipes inspired by the places her family has lived during her husband's time in the military, as well as from her diverse heritage which includes Hispanic and Hawaiian.
Jade is passionate about helping introduce new foods and flavors to families with easy recipes and providing helpful tips to get kids started cooking in the kitchen.
As a busy mother of 4, Jade understands the importance of creating family meals that make the most of the ingredients she has on hand.
Jade shares lots of great ideas on how to repurpose produce odds and ends to get the most out of the weekly food budget and reduce food waste.
HOW TO MEAL PLAN TO USE UP YOUR PRODUCE
- Look at what ingredients are being used in a recipe you're planning to make for the week and think of other ways to use those ingredients. For example you could repurpose half an onion or bell pepper and put them in salads and sandwiches.
How to make the most of leftover vegetables
- Most vegetables can be frozen so this is a great way to save them for later before they go bad. Diced onion, carrot, celery, bell pepper etc can all be frozen and used later.
- Once the vegetables have been frozen, cook them rather than use them raw as they do become watery.
Easy ways to use frozen vegetables
- Scrambled Eggs
- Fried Rice
How to make the most of leftover fruit
- Freeze strawberries, banana, blueberries etc to make smoothie packs, oatmeal, pancakes and jams.
- Freeze leftover fruit juice in ice cube trays for smoothies too.
- Make flavoured ice cubes with chopped up fruit and water.
Produce that doesn't freeze well
- Summer Squashes
3:40 - How to meal plan to use up your produce
5:15 - How to make the most of leftover vegetables
7:15 - Easy ways to use frozen vegetables
9:56 - How to make the most of leftover fruit
12:10 - Produce that doesn't freeze well
WHERE TO FIND JADE
Visit our show page for more episodes!