Mary from Goodie God Mother shares her tips for how to repurpose leftovers around the holidays. Leave no ham or turkey behind!
This week’s episode is all about how to repurpose those holiday leftovers.
I chat with Mary from GoodieGodmother.com about all the different and creative ways we can use leftover Turkey, Ham and desserts.
Mary is the Goodie Godmother and started blogging after closing her home bakery to maintain a reason for purchasing lots of cake plates. On her blog you’ll find recipes for desserts, some family favorites, and even a few barbecue recipes by her husband, the Godfather.
One of the biggest things I’ve focused on in my kitchen this year is food waste and the holidays can be a time when that becomes harder and harder to avoid. Well, not after listening to this conversation! I felt so inspired I’ve even tried a few of these ideas in my kitchen in general.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
This week’s recipe of the week is my impossible quiche. It’s a ham and cheese quiche that magically forms its own crust while cooking, so there’s no need to buy or make one. It’s a great way to use up leftover ham over Christmas and is perfect for lunch and dinner.
EPISODE 18 – HOW TO REPURPOSE HOLIDAY LEFTOVERS
Plan in Advance
- When planning your menu for Thanksgiving or Christmas think about the leftovers that you want first so you can keep that in mind for the main menu. E.g. if you want to make a shepherd’s pie with turkey leftovers, make mashed potatoes as your side dish so you can repurpose those too.
Tools you can use
- You can make stocks in a slow cooker with your leftover vegetables scraps and turkey carcass.
- Freezer bags and containers to store food in.
- If you have a vacuum sealer they are perfect for making leftovers go further.
Creative Ideas for Using Up Ham & Turkey
- Turkey can be used interchangeably with chicken in recipes, so think about your favourite chicken recipes and start subbing turkey into those.
- Turkey Lumpia
- Quiche, Egg Cups, Breakfast Burritos – all freezer friendly and can be used over months.
- Save the bone from the ham and cook it with a soup.
Creative Ideas for Using Side Dishes that Don’t Reheat Well
- Use mashed potatoes for croquetas or tater tots.
- Pan fry mashed potato mixed with an egg for a lazy egg benedict. Mary loves using this hollandaise sauce from Sprinkles and Sprouts,
- Mashed sweet potatoes can be into waffles, muffins or scones.
Creative Ideas for Using Desserts
- Freeze cookies and individual slices of cake (wrap in plastic wrap individually then put in a freezer bag).
- Turn apple pie into sundaes with some ice-cream.
- Scrape top of fruit pies and serve on top of pancakes.
- Make a monster milshake!
WHERE TO FIND MARY
Visit our show page for more episodes!