Need dinner in a hurry? Try this Pumpkin and Chickpea Curry! Made with mostly pantry ingredients and on the table in less than 30 minutes.
Adam was away for work recently, and I found myself living by myself for the first time ever. I can't say I enjoyed it. I rather enjoy his company and the house was much too quiet for my liking. But there was one thing that was much easier while he was away - meal times! I only had to feed myself for the whole week.
Adam is fussy when it comes to food. We work around this and most of the time I make us food we'd both enjoy rather than make two entirely different meals (ain't nobody got time for that!). But to have an entire weeks meals be exactly what I wanted - that was a treat! I went to the grocery store once, and challenged myself to only make do with what I had. I'm notoriously going to the grocery store every other day, so this in itself was a mission.
I started the week strong. Cannellini Bean Soup. Pumpkin, Avocado and Haloumi Salad. So many roast vegetable tray-bakes. After 5 days I was down to slim pickings. And that's how this Pumpkin and Chickpea Curry was born.
This is the curry you are going to want to pull out on those nights where you just have no idea what the heck to cook. It's ready in less than 30 minutes, and made up of pantry ingredients we all have on hand, plus an onion and some pumpkin. How easy is that?!
This curry is quite mild, so if you like things spicy feel free to up the spices, or even add in some cayenne or chilli for an extra kick!
MORE DELICIOUS DINNER IDEAS
- Beef and Vegetable Stew
- Mexican Shredded Beef
- Slow Cooker Pumpkin Soup
- Vegetarian Sweet Potato Nachos
- Zucchini and Halloumi Fritters with Sweet Corn
- OR see all Dinner Recipes
If you’ve tried this Pumpkin and Chickpea Curry I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Brown Onion, diced
- 1 tsp Minced Garlic
- 1 tsp Crushed Ginger
- 700 grams / 1.5 lbs Kent or Jap Pumpkin, diced
- 400 grams / 15 oz Tinned Chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 400 ml / 14.5 oz Tinned Diced Tomatoes
- 400 ml /13.5 oz Coconut Milk
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Ground Coriander
- 1 tsp Garam Masala
- 1 tsp Turmeric
- Crushed Cashews
- Fresh Coriander
- Greek Yoghurt
- Heat oil in a large saucepan on medium heat, then add onion, stirring regularly for 2-3 minutes or until softened. Add garlic and ginger and cook for a further 30 seconds.
- Add pumpkin to the saucepan and cook for a few minutes, stirring regularly. Add spices and stir around the pot until they become aromatic.
- Add in tinned tomatoes, chickpeas and coconut milk, and stir well. Bring the mixture to boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 15 minutes or until the pumpkin has softened.
- Serve over your favourite rice, and with your choice of optional toppings.
- Nutrition information is a rough estimate of the curry per serve without toppings or rice.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 489Carbohydrates: 58gFiber: 13gSugar: 12gProtein: 14g