Last Updated on
Jess from Sweetest Menu shares her tips for how to make perfect chocolate chip cookies every time! Learn what ingredients are worth spending a little more on, what type of chocolate is best and the importance of butter temperature.
Today’s episode is all about how to make perfect chocolate chip cookies!!
Jessica Holmes from Sweetest Menu shares all her tips and tricks for mastering this classic and well loved recipe.
Jess is the recipe developer and content creator behind the popular baking blog, Sweetest Menu. Inspired by her travels, Jess loves to create no fuss desserts that are undeniably delicious. Each recipe is carefully crafted to ensure maximum flavour for minimum fuss. Her recipes have been published in top-selling food magazines, and when she’s not in the kitchen, you’ll find Jess out and about enjoying the beautiful beaches of Sydney.
I had such a fun time chatting with Jess, a fellow Aussie and I must say she is my go-to for all things baking. You’ll love Jess’s chocolate chip cookie tips!
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
This week’s recipe of the week is my Easy Banana Cake. While we’re on the topic of desserts it was only appropriate and this little recipe has been having a moment of late. It’s one of my favourite ways to use up ripe bananas and is light, moist and full of flavour. I love to top the cake with banana slices that caramelise while baking.
EPISODE 23 – HOW TO MAKE PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
MAIN INGREDIENTS FOR COOKIE DOUGH
- Leavener – usually Baking Soda
Jess recommends investing in high quality vanilla, butter and chocolate for making the best chocolate chip cookies.
TEMPERATURE OF BUTTER
- Room temperature butter is used when your are going to cream it with sugar with an electric beater.
- If you use melted butter you’ll need to chill your dough before cooking it. If your recipe requests chilling the dough don’t skip it.
MAKE A TEST COOKIE
- Roll out one cookie first and bake it to see how it goes. You can then make changes if needed, be it chilling the dough for longer, tweaking the taste etc.
WHAT CHOCOLATE TO USE
While it’s called a “chocolate chip cookie” the secret to the best cookies is using a block of chocolate thats chopped up instead. If you do love the chocolate chip look, you can use a mixture of both.
TIPS FOR MAKING COOKIES LOOK GREAT
- Use a cookie scoop for measuring out the dough to make them the same size
- Roll the cookie dough using your hands for smooth and clean edges
- If they are misshapen after baking, grab a dessert spoon and go around the edges to tidy up.
- Add some chocolate chunks or chips on top of each cookie before you bake.
STORING CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature.
- If you don’t want to eat the whole batch you can freeze the dough in individual balls then cook when you are ready to enjoy.
JESS’S CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIE RECIPE
WHERE TO FIND JESS
Visit our show page for more episodes!