Last Updated on
Katie from Hey Nutrition Lady shares her advice on how to batch cook to set yourself up for an easier week in the kitchen. Learn what ingredients store well, how to make the most of your freezer and how to put together meals without a recipe.
Today’s episode is all about batch cooking!
I chat with my friend Katie Trant from the popular food blog Hey Nutrition Lady.
Katie is a university-trained nutritionist with a Bachelor of Science in Food, Nutrition, and Health and Master of Science in Nutrition. She’s passionate about fad-free nutrition, real food, a champion of body positivity and intuitive eating, and a meal-planning lunch-packing whiz.
Hey Nutrition Lady is where Katie leans in on her science background and uses critical thinking to help sift through the enormous amount of misinformation and pseudoscience when it comes to nutrition, to help people make informed decisions about what to eat in order to become your healthiest and happiest selves – all the while providing easy and delicious vegetarian recipes for everyone.
Katie is a lover of cheese, a hater of mushrooms, and a green smoothie aficionado. A native of Vancouver, Canada, she currently lives in Stockholm, Sweden with her husband and two boys.
Katie has some awesome practical tips for how we can batch cook to create countless meals throughout the week. For example brown rice could be the base for some rice bowls, or made into a fried rice, or even a stir fry. Katie’s ideas will make meal times less stressful, and do not require hours and hours in the kitchen, even when you’re batch cooking.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
This week’s recipe of the week my vegetarian quiche. Katie is a vegetarian so I thought I’d keep with the theme and pick a delicious vego recipe from the blog. This quiche is one of my newest recipes and my gosh is it good. I’ve had multiple recipe testers throw around “best quiche ever” and I agree. Eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner, or all three – I won’t judge.
Episode 29 – How to Batch Cook
What is Batch Cooking
- Batch cooking helps to set yourself up for an easier week and a smoother journey.
- Have prepared ingredients on hand that you can make meals out of easily.
KATIE’S BATCH COOKING FORMULA
Take some time on the weekend to make up one of each:
- A grain
- A green
- A protein
- A sauce
EQUIPMENT FOR BATCH COOKING
- Instant Pot / Electric Pressure Cooker can make things quicker and easier
- Storage Containers
- Reusable silicone freezer bags
- Make good use of your freezer!
WHAT FOODS ARE BEST FOR BATCH COOKING
- Starchy root vegetables.
- Kale is a sturdier green that will last longer than spinach or lettuce.
- Most vegetables will taste great roasted together on a tray for the week ahead.
USE YOUR FREEZER
- Lean on your freezer and learn more about what you can freeze (it’s so much more than we think!). It makes it easier to have prepared food on hand.
- Batch Cooking for a Healthy Week
- Naturally Sweetened Pumpkin Pie
- Sustainable Cook’s How To Freeze Posts
- How to Make a Meal Bowl Without a Recipe
WHERE TO FIND KATIE
Visit our show page for more episodes!