This Healthy Date Loaf is full of flavour and made for sharing. It’s vegan, refined sugar free and on the table in 40 minutes.
This healthy date loaf was first published exactly a year ago, and since then has become one of the most popular recipes on the blog! Every day a steady stream of googlers find their way to this recipe, so I thought it was about time I gave it a facelift. New photos. Recipe tips. And a pre-amble that was more fitting to this delicious loaf.
Dates are natures candy, and I won’t fool you into thinking this loaf is “sugar free”. But it’s filled with good for you ingredients and is the perfect treat for morning or afternoon tea. I love that I nearly always have the ingredients for this on hand, so I can whip it up when in a pinch to feed unexpected guests.
This date loaf lends itself well the modifications, so if you don’t have an ingredient in the cupboard, don’t stress. There is probably an easy substitute that you already have.
1. What can I substitute for rice malt syrup?
Any liquid sweetener you prefer or have on hand. Honey or maple syrup would work well.
2. What should I top my loaf with?
I’ve made this loaf in 3 different ways – no topping, topped with sliced banana, and topped with sunflower and pepita seeds. I love them all equally, I just happened to have seeds on hand the day I photographed it. Banana will caramelise and add even more sweetness to your loaf – so let that be your guide if you are a sweet tooth like me!
3. Can I substitute wholemeal flour for anything?
I’ve made this with plain white flour before and it worked well. I can’t vouch for others but if you generally have success substituting wholemeal flour for another type of flour – go for it! And then let us know how it went in the comments 🙂
4. Not a fan of coconut oil – what else can I use?
Olive oil, rice bran or whatever you use at home as long as it has a mild flavour should work.
5. Can I add walnuts into the mixture?
Absolutely. Just mix them in right before you pour your mixture into the date loaf. No other changes to the recipe required.
6. I hate dates – what else you got?
May I introduce you to the world’s best healthy banana bread recipe. You’re welcome.
MORE SCRUMPTIOUS SNACK RECIPES:
- Banana Coconut Muffins
- No Bake Apricot Coconut Energy Bites
- No Bake Chocolate Coconut Slice
- Healthy Banana Bread
- Healthy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
If you’ve tried this Healthy Date Loaf I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below!
You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST.
Healthy Date Loaf
- 1 ¾ cup plain wholemeal flour
- 10 medjool dates chopped finely
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp. rice malt syrup / brown rice syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp all spice
- ½ tsp nutmeg
Optional Topping Options
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- 1 tbsp pepita seeds
- OR 1 very ripe banana sliced in half
- Preheat oven to 180C/350F
- Place oil, syrup and dates in a mixing bowl. Pour over boiling water and mix until all combined.
- Add in sifted flower, baking powder, bicarb soda, vanilla extract and spices and mix until combined. If you are adding banana on top, press down on top of mixture with the cut side up.
- Pour into baking tin and place in oven for 30 minutes, until cooked through and a skewer comes out clean.
- Leave in tin for 5 minutes then move the loaf to cool on a rack.
- You can sub rice malt syrup for honey, maple syrup etc.
- You can sub coconut oil for another oil of your preference - rice bran, olive (although only use a very mild olive oil)
- I'd start checking on the loaf around the 25 minute mark. Cooking times can vary dramatically between ovens so best to be on the safe side!
- Nutrition is a rough estimate and is for one slice if you slice loaf by 10.
★★ HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!