This healthy banana bread is filled with good for you ingredients so you can enjoy a slice guilt-free. The perfect treat when you want something sweet without all the added sugar.
I can’t remember the last time I had a cafe-style slice of banana bread. Whilst I love sugar-filled baked treats, banana bread is the one thing I find that tastes better pared back on the sugar front. I prefer my healthier version any day.
This healthy banana bread is the very best way to use up those overripe bananas sitting on the bench at the end of the week. It’s a great size for sharing if you have company coming over and it freezes beautifully, which means you can portion slices out for lunchboxes.
I love a slice lightly toasted under the grill with lashings of butter spread on top. I’ve also been known to have a slice with some strawberry jam, which my husband tells me is most odd. I wonder if there’s anyone else out there who has tried this?
How do you like to enjoy your banana bread? Let me know in the comments below!
HEALTHY BANANA BREAD INGREDIENTS List
Here’s what you need to make this Healthy Banana Bread…
- Very Ripe Bananas: The darker and uglier, the better.
- Olive Oil: Choose a very mild flavoured olive oil here or you can use coconut oil instead.
- Rice Malt Syrup / Brown Rice Syrup: Or you can use honey or maple syrup instead.
- Rolled Oats: Standard traditional rolled oats work best. Steel cut or quick oats are not suitable for this recipe.
- Milk: Choose whichever milk you prefer. I’ve made this with cows milk, almond milk and soy milk and all worked well.
- Wholemeal Flour: Can sub for white all purpose flour.
- Baking Powder, Cinnamon, Vanilla Extract and Salt.
Optional Topping – If you have an extra banana lying around, slice it in halve and push into the mixture prior to baking. It caramelises in the oven and adds lovely flavour to the bread.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHY BANANA BREAD – STEP BY STEP
First, pre-heat oven to 160C and line loaf pan with baking paper.
In a bowl combine rice malt syrup and olive oil and stir to combine (photo 1). Add in milk, eggs and bananas and combine (photo 2). Add remaining ingredients (except for 1 tsp of cinnamon) and mix well to combine (photo 3).
Pour mixture into a loaf pan and dust reserved tsp of cinnamon on top (photo 4).
Place in oven for 60 minutes or until cooked through. I start checking if it’s done around the 50-minute mark. You want the loaf to be lightly browned and a skewer to come out clean.
Cool in tin for 5 minutes then remove and cool on a rack for another 10-15 minutes. Slice, serve and enjoy.
STORING YOUR BANANA BREAD
Once cooled, store any leftover banana bread in an airtight container on the counter for a few days OR individually wrap slices in cling film and pop in an airtight container or freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
The banana bread freezes really well and the individual slices are perfect for popping into lunchboxes or for when you need a late night sweet fix.
MORE SCRUMPTIOUS SNACK RECIPES:
- No Bake Chocolate Coconut Slice
- Healthy Chocolate Crackles
- No Bake Apricot Coconut Energy Bites
- Healthy Date Loaf
- How to Make Stovetop Popcorn
If you’ve tried this Healthy Banana Bread I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
WATCH HOW I MAKE IT
Healthy Banana Bread
- 3 very ripe bananas mashed
- 1/3 cup olive oil I used a very mild flavour oil
- 3 tbsp. rice malt syrup
- ½ cup rolled oats
- ¼ cup milk
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups wholemeal flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Pinch of salt
- Rolled Oats lightly dust on top of bread
- Banana slice in halve & push into mixture before baking
- Pre-heat oven to 160C and line a loaf pan with baking paper.
- In a bowl combine rice malt syrup and olive oil and stir to combine.
- Add in milk, eggs and bananas and combine.
- Add remaining ingredients (except for 1 tsp of cinnamon) and mix well to combine.
- Pour mixture into a loaf pan and dust reserved tsp of cinnamon on top.
- Place in oven for 60 minutes. I would start checking around the 50-minute mark, as every oven is different! You want the loaf to be lightly browned and a skewer to come out clean.
- Cool in tin for 5 minutes then remove and cool on a rack for another 10-15 minutes.
- Slice, serve and enjoy.
- Inspiration: Adapted from Naturally Nutritious.
- Oil: Use a mild flavoured olive oil or you can use coconut oil instead.
- Liquid Sweetener: You can use honey or maple syrup instead.
- Flour: You can use white all purpose flour instead.
- Optional Topping: Rolled oats & sliced banana make great decoration for banana bread, but are entirely optional. Lightly dust some rolled oats over the mixture before baking. If you have an extra banana lying around, slice it in half and push it into the mixture prior to baking.
- Storing: Store in an airtight container for a few days at room temperature OR wrap individual slices in cling wrap and pop in an airtight container or freezer bag in the freezer for up to 3 months.
- Updates: First Published September 7, 2017. Last updated February 26, 2019. No changes to the recipe, just updated photos and tips.
- Nutrition: Nutrition information is a rough estimate based on 1 slice.
★★ HAVE YOU MADE THIS RECIPE? PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING BELOW!