Sam from Frosting & Fettuccine shares her tips on how to decorate cakes like a pro no matter what baking skill level you are at and without needing expensive tools.
Today's episode is going to teach you how to decorate cakes like a pro.
I chat with Sam Adler of the blog FrostingandFettuccine.com. Sam Adler is a professionally trained pastry chef, Saveur Blog Award winner, food photographer, and food blogger. She graduated from Le Cordon Bleu’s Baking and Pastry Arts program in 2013 and started her baking blog as a place to share recipes, which quickly evolved into a love of food photography and a new career. Sam and her recipes have been featured in numerous online and in-print publications including Taste of Home Magazine, and Saveur.com. Sam lives in Hollywood Florida with her husband, two young kids, and french bulldog. When she’s not baking and dancing in her kitchen you can find her at her favorite yoga spot.
As you can see, Sam knows a thing or two about making beautiful cakes and her tips and tricks are accessible and achievable no matter what baking skill level you are at.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
This week's recipe of the week is my world famous Caramel Slice. It's a triple layer slice, starting with sweet biscuit bottom, a thick caramel middle and a milk chocolate topping. It's absolutely irresistible and you definitely need to try it ASAP. A little work for a huge reward!
EPISODE 17 - HOW TO DECORATE CAKES LIKE A PRO
WHERE TO START?
- Make a cake with 3 layers for best results. The extra height makes a big difference.
- Slice off the top of the cakes so you have even flat layers to stack.
SUPPLIES TO HAVE ON HAND
- Offset Spatula allows you to frost easily.
- Bench scraper allows you to smooth the cake out on the sides.
- A cake turner - not mandatory but is affordable and makes frosting easier.
- When you're filling the cake be sure to do it evenly so that the layers aren't lopsided on either side.
- Make a crumb coat, then freeze, so when you go to add the next layer of frosting it will go on smoothly on top rather than moving the crumbs everywhere and making a mess!
- Put the cake in the freezer for 15-20 minutes before frosting.
- Use an offset spatula to smooth the frosting on.
- Take a water bottle with clean water and spray a little bit on top of the frosting then smooth the frosting out with your spatula or bench scraper. Smoothes out all the bumps and holes.
FUN WAYS TO DECORATE
- Use sprinkles or make a decorative border with candy.
- Take a caramel or chocolate sauce and drizzle over the cake.
- Use fresh flowers from the garden. Wash the flowers first then cover the stem in plastic then stick in the cake.
SAM'S FAVORITE CAKE RECIPE
WHERE TO FIND SAM
Website - You can find the sign up for Sam's Bakers Guide in her sidebar!
Visit our show page for more episodes!