These chicken fajita lettuce wraps make the perfect mid-week dinner. Ready in less than 30 minutes and so delicious you won’t miss the tortillas!
Chicken fajitas was one of the first meals I cooked Adam when we started dating. I had no idea how to make them and I bought an Old El Paso Fajita Pack and followed the instructions on the box. They were delicious and fast became a favourite of ours. But by the time you add up all the ingredients including the tortilla and sour cream it was a pretty heavy and not so healthy meal.
When we started focusing on healthy eating I was determined to find a way that we could enjoy our fajitas, albeit a more healthy version. I was always skeptical of lettuce wraps. Could lettuce ever really feel like a suitable replacement for carbs? Surely not. Well as it turns out, it can. In fact, I hardly even notice the missing tortilla!
This recipe is pretty flexible. You can totally just buy a pre-made fajita spice mix and use that if you don’t already have all the spices in the cupboard. You can also make your own salsa if you are that way inclined! You can even use this recipe as a base and use tortilla’s if you wish. But I dare you to try it with lettuce! You won’t even realise that you are being healthy 🙂
Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion diced
- 1/2 red capsicum / red pepper
- 1/2 green capsicum / green pepper
- 2 chicken breasts thinly sliced
- 4 iceberg lettuce leaves
- Guacamole see notes for recipe
- Optional: Tasty cheese shredded
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- Combine spice mix ingredients into a bowl, add chicken and 1 tbsp olive oil and stir to combine.
- Combine guacamole ingredients into a bowl and smash with a fork to combine.
- Heat pan on medium-high heat. Cook chicken in two batches until browned and set aside in a bowl.
- Add 1/2 tbsp of olive oil to pan, and cook onion and capsicum until soft. Add chicken back to the pan and stir to combine.
- Assemble lettuce wraps by spooning fajita mixture, salsa and guacamole on top.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Try my Quick and Easy Guacamole with these delicious Chicken Fajita Lettuce Wraps.
- Feel free to pop these in tortillas if you prefer.
- Nutrition information is a rough estimate based on one serve without cheese.