Jenny from The Domestic Wildflower shares her tips and tricks for canning for beginners. Learn all the basics and get some great everyday ideas for things to can and to gift around the holidays.
Today's episode is all about canning.
And no - it's not just for your great grandmother.
Canning has had a resurgence over the past few years as people have looked for ways to reduce food waste, save money, eat healthier and get back to their roots.
In today's episode I chat to Jenny Gomes from The Domestic Wildflower. Jenny is from Northern California and is a busy mom of 2 small kids. She blogs about homemade food and crafts at The Domestic Wildflower and loves sharing how easy canning is with beginners.
Jenny is passionate about all things canning and her enthusiasm is infectious. I know you'll get a lot out of today's episode.
RECIPE OF THE WEEK
The recipe of the week this week is my Air Fryer Baked Apples. These tenderly baked cinnamon apples are topped with a crisp oat filling that transforms into a healthy dessert that tastes anything but. If you don't have an air fryer don't worry, you can cook them in the oven too.
Listen in to today’s episode on Apple, Stitcher or Spotify.
Episode 22 - Canning for Beginners
HOW CANNING HAS EVOLVED
- You can do small batch canning
- Steam canning has made canning faster and more efficient
SAFETY IN CANNING
- Canning is similar to baking - it's a science. you can know when it's working and you can tell if something isn't right.
WHAT EQUIPMENT DO YOU NEED TO START CANNING?
- You don't need to buy a special pot - you can use a large pasta pot with a silicone trivet (inexpensive to buy) to place on the bottom of the pot.
- Jar lifter - inexpensive but necessary.
- Jars - can be used you just need a brand new lid every time.
EVERYDAY CANNING IDEAS
- Tomato Sauce
- Raspberry Jam
- Tomato Jam
- Pie Filling
CANNING GIFT IDEAS
JENNY'S CANNING COURSES
WHERE TO FIND JENNY
Visit our show page for more episodes!