This tasty Chia Banana Smoothie is filled with budget-friendly and healthy ingredients. A banana yogurt smoothie makes a filling on-the-go breakfast or a perfect 3pm pick-me-up. A chia smoothie recipe so deliciously creamy and thick it could pass as a chia shake!
When you're looking for an easy breakfast or an afternoon snack, it's hard to go past this Chia Banana Smoothie. Filled with budget-friendly and healthy ingredients that will keep you full for hours.
It's perfect for when you're wanting something sweet, as it tastes just like a thick and creamy chia shake. You'll be craving this delicious banana yogurt smoothie all summer long.
I know one bug bear people have with smoothies is having to wash up the blender jug. I use the cup attachment on our Ninja blender and it is so easy! Once I've blended my smoothie I just pop it in the dishwasher. Simple!
New to making smoothies at home? Make sure you check out my How to Make a Perfect Smoothie post that's filled with tips and tricks!
What is the best way to eat chia seeds?
In a smoothie of course! I love adding chia seeds into all of my smoothie recipes as they don't change the taste at all.
They are perfect for a nutrient boost and they also thicken up smoothies, which is great if you've added too much milk in!
Can you put raw chia seeds in a smoothie?
You can absolutely add raw chia seeds into a smoothie. There is no need to soak them first, just pop them in your blender with these rest of your ingredients and mix it all up!
CHIA BANANA SMOOTHIE INGREDIENTS LIST
This chia banana smoothie is made with just 5 everyday ingredients. It's easily customisable, so if you're trying to get some extra greens in your diet feel free to add in a handful of kale or spinach, or why not try Spinach Mango Smoothie or Kale Pineapple Smoothie.
- Frozen Banana - Learn how to freeze bananas.
- Milk - Choose any milk that you enjoy. This smoothie works well with cow's, almond, coconut or soy milk.
- Vanilla Yoghurt
- Chia Seeds
HOW TO MAKE THIS BANANA YOGURT SMOOTHIE VEGAN / DAIRY FREE:
This banana yogurt smoothie is so easy to customise to suit your needs. If you're a vegan or following a dairy free diet simply use your favourite plant based milk and replace vanilla yogurt with coconut yoghurt.
You can also simply omit yogurt altogether. If you find the smoothie is too thick after omitting the yogurt, add in a little more plant based milk and blend again.
HOW DO YOU MAKE A CHIA BANANA SMOOTHIE?:
- Put all ingredients into a high performance blender.
- Blend on high until all the ingredients are well combined and smooth (30-60 seconds).
It's as simple as that!
CAN I MAKE MY CHIA SHAKE SMOOTHIE IN ADVANCE?
If you want to avoid waking everyone up to the sound of the blender whirring, you can whip this smoothie up the night before. Store it in an airtight mason jar and give it a good shake before consuming. I would only store for up to 24 hours.
TOP TIP: Got a bunch of browning bananas sitting on the bench? Check out these 12 Ripe Banana Recipes to Use Up Your Bunch.
OR why not freeze them for smoothies. Frozen bananas help make your smoothie thicker (and icy cold).
Simply slice the bananas into small chunks, pop them on a plate and put it in the freezer. Once the chunks are frozen, pop them in an airtight container or freezer bag and store in the freezer for up to 3 months.
MORE SMOOTHIE RECIPES:
- Strawberry Banana Smoothie Bowl
- Strawberry Yogurt Smoothie
- Mixed Fruit Smoothie
- Banana Oat Smoothie
- OR see all Smoothie Recipes
If you’ve tried this Chia Banana Smoothie I’d love to hear how you enjoyed it! Pop a comment and a star rating below! You can also FOLLOW ME on FACEBOOK, INSTAGRAM and PINTEREST to keep up to date with more delicious recipes.
- 1 Banana, frozen & sliced
- 250 ml / 1 cup Milk
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Yogurt
- 1 Tbsp Chia Seeds
- ½ Tsp Cinnamon
- Put all ingredients in a high performance blender and blend for 30-60 seconds until smooth.
- Pour, serve and enjoy!
- MILK - Choose any milk that you enjoy. This smoothie works well with cow's, almond, coconut or soy milk.
- TO MAKE VEGAN / DAIRY FREE - Sub Vanilla Yogurt for Coconut Yogurt or omit completely.
- MAKE IN ADVANCE - Blend then store in an airtight mason jar for up to 24 hours in the fridge. Shake well before consuming.
- UPDATES - First published May 25, 2017. Last updated September 6, 2019. No changes to recipe other than to remove the optional addition of 1 tsp of Flaxseed Oil. Updates made to tips and tricks.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 1 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 304Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 20mgSodium: 140mgCarbohydrates: 47gFiber: 8gSugar: 16gProtein: 13g